SU-101. The Oddity

su-101 somehow not russian bias

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Poll: SU-101 Extravaganza! (2 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do/Did you like the SU-101?

1. Yes, I like(d) the tank. (2 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No, I don't/didn't like the tank. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. I never played it, so I'm not sure. (0 votes [0.00%])

Do you think the low profile is an advantage or disadvantage for the tank?

1. I think it is a disadvantage, considering its massive gun, gun depression etc. (0 votes [0.00%])

2. No, I think it benefits the tank. (2 votes [100.00%])

Do you think the SU-101 was worth playing and it was worth the grind for the SU-122-54?

1. Yes, I think it was worth it. (2 votes [100.00%])

2. No, I don't think it was worth it. (0 votes [0.00%])

You have sneaked your way into the Wargaming offices this evening. You notice one open laptop with the SU-101 on it. Right next to the laptop is a note that says "to buff something". What do you buff?

1. Gun - depression, DPM, aim time etc. (1 vote [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Armor - HP, strength, module health etc. (1 vote [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Mobility - traverse rates, terrain resistance etc. (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Hide poll

HablmetForever #1 Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:00 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 13171 battles
  • [-WHB-]

Okay, hey guys, my name is Hab and this is the SU-101, a tier VIII Russian/Soviet tank destroyer. I'll say this right from the get go: there is very little content for this vehicle. Why? I don't know. It could be the fact that there's far more viable tank destroyers in the same tier - especially the mighty ISU-152. And that's what bugs me the most, it's why there's no updated guides for it on YouTube from the big shots. Sk8's last guide is almost two years old! And that's a shame, because...I have no idea how to play it well in the current game. But I digress. Typical three sections of the guide ensue - gun, armor and mobility.

Gun. Great, but limited

I'll start with the fact that this is possibly the most expensive gun in the game. If I recall correctly, it costs about 80,000 experience. That's insane! Especially for a tier VIII tank, no less! But the gun is an absolute must have, since the SU-101 is quite frankly unplayable without it, and the same goes for the SU-122-54. The 100mm has only two degrees of gun depression. That's...well...horrendous, but the top gun, which has an even larger caliber, somehow increases that to four degrees. That's still pretty bad by my standards, don't get me wrong, but it makes the tank so much better to play. The gun has 420 alpha, which isn't bad at all, and the penetration is also very high - 258mm of AP penetration is nothing to be ashamed about. It doesn't fire relatively quickly, but ten seconds is completely fine by me. What annoys me about the gun is the poor flexibility. Seven degrees of an aiming arc isn't exactly viable for using a camo net...which is why you shouldn't use one. Put optics on it, since it's a tank destroyer in name only. I like to think of it as a very annoyed medium tank. Speaking of medium tanks, all of the engines are from the T-44, so if you played with that tank before, then you should have far less issues with researching modules. But the gun depression is just my biggest gripe with the tank, it just doesn't help you make the armor work at all.

Armor. Decent but limited

The armor sounds quite interesting on the 101 - it claims to have up to 120mm on the front. That's only half-true. The lower superstructure has 90mm sloped rather aggressively - giving that part about 180mm of effective armor. The upper superstructure has those promised 120mm, but the sloping is slightly worse, so the effective armor value is about 215mm. So it's something like the Jagdpanther II and the Jagdtiger. This is where the gun depression kicks in, however. With a Jagdpanther II or the Jagdtiger, you can make their armor profiles work much better thanks to better gun depression. Nothing like that can be done with the SU - if you angle the armor, you're revealing easy shots on a weaker side profile if you angle incorrectly. If you go hull down and show the upper structure, that makes your situation better, but enemies can still penetrate you if they load prammo. And don't rely on going hull down often, either - if you can even find a nice place to do that in. Only small inclines are really hassle-free. At least the mobility is quite good,

Mobility. Very nice

Since the 101 takes all of the engines from the T-44 and at the practically same weight, it's almost just as fast. That helps the machine to perform a lot better, since it can take different positions in a short amount of time. And the traverse speed isn't bad, either. It's quite good! It's actually quite difficult to circle one of these...but mainly because they all camp. And the mobility is basically the shortest part of this guide, since talking about speed and traverse rates is boring.

Grand finale. Needs far more content!

This is honestly the only way I could finish the topic. I wish I could actually say how to play the tank, but even after the time I have owned it, I cannot say that for sure. It's a pretty decent tank de-I mean medium, and playing it as one could yield some good results, but I'm not sure either. There's the typical poll for you guys to fill out, and I think we're gonna see each other soon with something more entertaining. See ya.

Pros:

• Quite good gun - great penetration, punchy.
  • Very swift - takes positions quickly.
  • Low silhouette helps the camo rating quite a lot.

Cons:

• Gun depression is still terrible with the top gun - flexibility is much lower compared to other TDs.
  • Pretty bad gun arc prevents an effective use of the camo net - optics are recommended instead.
  • The low silhouette imo also doesn't help the gun depression, and the rear mounted gun doesn't help that, too.
  • Armor profile can be worked well only behind ridges.

-WHB- is still recruiting! Contact me in the game, on Discord, wherever I'm available, and we can settle the rest out!

Also tagged with su-101, somehow, not, russian, bias

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users