Why don't more people play rating battles?

MM Rating Battles

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

Timsinsal #1 Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:54 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 27972 battles
  • [TANG]

The only issue I see with rating battles is that not enough people play causing a slightly longer waiting time

Otherwise, they're almost perfect.

Your rating reflects your contribution to the battle.

As your rating goes up you begin to get better battles with more experienced players.

You get more XP & credits.

What's not to like?

killerkiller777 #2 Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:50 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 34573 battles
  • [TNG]
Most of the players are playing Mad Games (grinding modules, tanks, crew, credits, etc). Most likely everything will be back to normal on Friday when Mad Games will end.

Thank you for removing timers and spare parts, now please do the same with Military Honor !

Mark_Collins #3 Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:53 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 32558 battles
  • [GRAVE]

View PostTimsinsal, on 18 March 2019 - 02:54 PM, said:

What's not to like?

Too many people think that only 'pro' players play rating battles. This leads to either an almost perfect gaming experience or, far more often, a bunch of childish muppets with vastly over-inflated senses of their own skill and importance...... And there are faaaar too many troll platoons who will double down vote you simply for not going the way they want, or not moving fast enough, or whatever else.

There is enough poisonous nonsense in normal games for me to not bother with ratings again.

But if you like it then more power to you mush :-)  Enjoy!

Alea Iacta Est

killerkiller777 #4 Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:00 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 34573 battles
  • [TNG]

View PostMark_Collins, on 18 March 2019 - 02:53 PM, said:

And there are faaaar too many troll platoons who will double down vote you simply for not going the way they want...

Platoons are no longer accepted in rating battles.

Thank you for removing timers and spare parts, now please do the same with Military Honor !

Replicant_2 #5 Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:04 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4463 battles
  • [HRG]
Often by the time I finally have a moment to play a few battles the ratings are not available anymore.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Timsinsal #6 Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:14 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 27972 battles
  • [TANG]

View Postkillerkiller777, on 18 March 2019 - 02:50 PM, said:

Most of the players are playing Mad Games (grinding modules, tanks, crew, credits, etc). Most likely everything will be back to normal on Friday when Mad Games will end.

I'm not so sure. I haven't noticed a big change in rating battle numbers since Mad Games was re-introduced.

Whilst you can't grind modules you can grind to the next tank once you're fully upgraded. Maybe after Mad Games finishes some players will give rating battles another try.

Too many people think that only 'pro' players play rating battles. This leads to either an almost perfect gaming experience or, far more often, a bunch of childish muppets with vastly over-inflated senses of their own skill and importance...... And there are faaaar too many troll platoons who will double down vote you simply for not going the way they want, or not moving fast enough, or whatever else.

There is enough poisonous nonsense in normal games for me to not bother with ratings again.

It can be a bit of a mixed bag sometimes. Saturday morning had a lot of inexperienced players callibarting their rank. This would surely change if more people played.

I'd say give Rating Battles another chance. The battles I've been involved in with higher ranked players have been very rewarding, even when I've been on the losing side.

View PostReplicant_2, on 18 March 2019 - 03:04 PM, said:

Often by the time I finally have a moment to play a few battles the ratings are not available anymore.

Yes, this is a problem. During the week I usually play when the family are tucked up in bed... unfortunately, at that time, rating battles are over for the day.

killerkiller777 #7 Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:23 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 34573 battles
  • [TNG]

View PostTimsinsal, on 18 March 2019 - 03:14 PM, said:

I'm not so sure. I haven't noticed a big change in rating battle numbers since Mad Games was re-introduced.

Whilst you can't grind modules you can grind to the next tank once you're fully upgraded. Maybe after Mad Games finishes some players will give rating battles another try.

I haven't play rating since mad games re-started, so I do not know how is it now, but before I played a lot and waiting times were acceptable, from few seconds up to 30 seconds the most. So far, I've got very long waiting times when played tier 7 tanks which still have had match matching preference because MM failed to put me with only tier 7 players.

Timsinsal #8 Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:33 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 27972 battles
  • [TANG]

View Postkillerkiller777, on 18 March 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

I haven't play rating since mad games re-started, so I do not know how is it now, but before I played a lot and waiting times were acceptable, from few seconds up to 30 seconds the most. So far, I've got very long waiting times when played tier 7 tanks which still have had match matching preference because MM failed to put me with only tier 7 players.

The wait times aren't too bad. 30-90 seconds is what it feels like. It's definitely longer than normal battles though.

Tier 7 is a tough one to play because you'll always be bottom tier. Tier 9 seems to suffer a litte too. In my opinion, the best tier to play in rating battles is tier 8 or tier 10. In10, you are always top tier but it can be exspensive. Tier 8 seems to have the most players, a big choice of tanks and you can make some credits.

_diabolique_ #9 Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:40 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5793 battles
  • [CRZYG]

Exactly this. I had only one downvote and it was in rating battles. After 9 great battles, I made a mistake to help one heavy and it ended 2 vs 7 enemies. I was in tier 7 against tier 8 so couldn't pan anything. Yeah it was my mistake and terrible performance but definitely, I wasn't inactive. After the battle, I was downvoted and receive 2 'nice' messages from platoon mates... Not a big deal but I don't play this mode anymore.

killerkiller777 #10 Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:48 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 34573 battles
  • [TNG]

View PostTimsinsal, on 18 March 2019 - 03:33 PM, said:

The wait times aren't too bad. 30-90 seconds is what it feels like. It's definitely longer than normal battles though.

Tier 7 is a tough one to play because you'll always be bottom tier. Tier 9 seems to suffer a litte too. In my opinion, the best tier to play in rating battles is tier 8 or tier 10. In10, you are always top tier but it can be exspensive. Tier 8 seems to have the most players, a big choice of tanks and you can make some credits.

I like tier 7, is the easiest way to go in platinum league or to use it for calibration especially if you play an OP tank (i.e. Tiger P, Helsing, Type 62, etc). I usually play tier 8 for credits and tier 9 if I want to test / grind next tank in the line.

90 seconds looks too long than normal, most likely it is because many players are playing mad games. If not, maybe you have same controls activated which is also increasing the waiting times.

I also don't like that Rating Battles are ending at 11:00 PM CET, hopefully they will change the hour soon when DST will be ON.

Timsinsal #11 Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:59 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 27972 battles
  • [TANG]

View Post_diabolique_, on 18 March 2019 - 03:40 PM, said:

Exactly this. I had only one downvote and it was in rating battles. After 9 great battles, I made a mistake to help one heavy and it ended 2 vs 7 enemies. I was in tier 7 against tier 8 so couldn't pan anything. Yeah it was my mistake and terrible performance but definitely, I wasn't inactive. After the battle, I was downvoted and receive 2 'nice' messages from platoon mates... Not a big deal but I don't play this mode anymore.

Getting a down vote in MH is horrible. I hate it, even though it doesn't happen often to me ;-)

Not playing because of that is perfectly understandable. My recent experience of MH in rating battles isn't any different form normal ones. If its been a while, you should give it another try.

Pururut #12 Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23259 battles
  • [1RTR_]

I wasnt involved much with rating battles but I can give an educated guess or two.

- Ranked Battles came out late, way too late. World of Tanks Blitz started in May or June 2015. Ranked battles came out in July 2017. 2 years of insane growth, rich updates. high popularity and instead of striking the iron while it is hot and instilling a sense of competition early on, Wargaming as a Turkish proverb would say; Aimlessly stared at the train of opportunity like an ox.

- Overall structure of ranked was a mess as well. Initial rating changes being solely focused on wins or loses instead of effectiveness and contribution, continously resetting ratings, very little advantage ranked provided in events, ranked battles being only available in certain hours, lack of balance were the key elements.

I think the real question is not why ranked is not as popular as it should be but instead why do people insist on playing ranked battles despite the heavily imbalanced state game is currently in.

Edited by Pururut, 18 March 2019 - 06:47 PM.

Lord of Hentai and JAV, To-be research assistant, Duke of Blitz and Earl of Gloucester (not Glouuuuuuuuuuuuuuster, smh Britain)

killerkiller777 #13 Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:25 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 34573 battles
  • [TNG]
If we are speaking about concept, I think random shouldn't have stats. Only in ranking to have stats. Random suppose to be any kind of mm including 7 TDs Vs 7 lights. But ranking should be balanced as much as it can be and mm should include wr in tier, number of battles in tier, vehicle types, no platoons etc

minitelrose #14 Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 69673 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostReplicant_2, on 18 March 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

which is same as op complained about : with more players it would be opened 24/7

Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

I want just that, and replay files.

minitelrose #15 Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 69673 battles
  • [AFK]

Overall OP I am wondering the same. Why nobody plays ranked. People complain that they want skill based mm all day, and now they have it and they don’t use it. I dunno, makes no sense to me.

i know a lot of good players don’t like supremacy, but that doesn’t seem enough. I know some players never tried as many buttons as to have discovered the ranked battles button. That’s another fact but probably minimal %age of the playerbase — er... maybe —

for the rest of the playerbase, it’s the fact that they don’t play it that makes the entire ranked battle a near failure. Because even ranking the two top ranks, you still meet the low scraps. Because u get the only players available. I know some people will give up ranked battle s for this reason : u meet the same noobs, whereas in fact if enough of them would play ranked, than they just wouldn’t see noobs anymore. 

So perhaps pururut is right, it came late, and it doesn’t offer enough rewards. It does offer XP and credits rewards, but i think those rewards aren’t enough or visible enough.

Timsinsal, on 18 March 2019 - 04:33 PM, said:

I actually play ranked mostly as tier7 or 9.

Especially 7. Its tough but it’s always uphill, and it makes your skills grow.

The opposite is to play OP tier8 to inflate your ego. And that’s the issue, I saw recently so many 4K battles re re reroll account with 75% stats, who abused of the new MM then buy an op premium tier8 and play ranked only to farm credits and XP while hiding their real skills. 

— picture here the mean sideways glance—

I also played tier 9 , albeit less, but 9 against 10 is easier. Just know you are a support tank, and u can do a difference. Especially more muppets play 10, whereas a lot of competent players play OP tier 8. So tier9 is not as hard as tier7.

Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

_OMG_66 #16 Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:06 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13048 battles
  • [HFORC]
Probably because I am useless at this game.

Mjr_Eazy #17 Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:01 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 25798 battles
  • [BT_SV]

Like Mini said, we have an army of people whining about rigging and suggesting we need skill based MM but we have that it is called Ratings but hardly anyone plays ratings battles...

I wish they would stop whining and play ratings and then hopefully we kill 2 birds with 1 stone...

1. Whining about rigging with no proof

2. Long wait times in Ratings battles

;)

547146227.png

minitelrose #18 Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:33 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 69673 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 19 March 2019 - 01:01 AM, said:

Like Mini said, we have an army of people whining about rigging and suggesting we need skill based MM but we have that it is called Ratings but hardly anyone plays ratings battles...

I wish they would stop whining and play ratings and then hopefully we kill 2 birds with 1 stone...

1. Kill that whining guy in a rating battle

2. Kill that whining guy in the next rating battle

;)

That program suits me.

Fixed one or two things for u.

Read my guides there

llo1 #19 Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:12 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27704 battles
  • [1RTR]

I have never played ranked battles, not because I don't want to, but very simply because I have had problems with lag/ping/wifi/equipment etc etc for at least a couple of years........

whilst I think my skills would benefit from playing, and also gain from the ability of showing my skills off, to suddenly have your tank stop, turn circles, miss 80% of well aimed shots in the middle of a battle simply puts me off!

Its bad enough in normal play, never mind in play where supposed good players /better players would simply think you are one of the massed noobs who are playing way above your experience..............

And as to the time restrictions, I play whenever/wherever I can....and this is mostly not in the "normal" playing times due to work travel!

Edited by llo1, 19 March 2019 - 05:13 AM.

Fugit555 #20 Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:48 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 25310 battles
  • [49DIV]

Ratings are a bit er...um. What to say. Ok well they are a grand idea, as Mjr_Eazy and minitelrose says they are meant to be skill based MM, but alas they are rather short of that mark due to the lack of players. If they were truly skill based MM, then the teams would be all calibrating, all silver, all gold etc but they are not. They are not even based upon WR or amount of battles, so they are not really skill based, but they are slowly heading that direction. However, the main point they raise it that players moan about rigged MM yet ignore ratings which if more played it I think would give more even sided teams. The reason the teams are mixed currently is due to the lack of players so the MM once again struggles.

I also agree with Pururut - it was introduced too late. Prior to ratings you did in fact have a rating, which is very much like the rating you see in blitz assistant, the little blitz banner/shield with a number over the top. That used to be your rating, until they introduced ratings (it is interesting that Blitz assistant still uses this yet the game doesn't lol). Then they tinkered with ratings a lot and it all got very confusing and to an extent it still is. There is no real indicator as to how you get points or how you lose points. At one stage it was based upon winning and losing, which when you looked at it was truly bias. If you were in gold league then you would 25 points each loss, yet in platinum you only lost 10 points. Ok so if you won you'd get the same points, but it was rather odd. The points system itself doesn't really reward you for good play and it is still tailored to winning. Ok the more you do the less points you lose if you lose or draw, but you still lose in real terms. 

Ratings are going in the right direction and in time they will be exactly what was planned, namely an indication of how good a player you are that will allow you to then play against and with players of a similar skill set. Alas it is not there yet.

The other reason its not popular - WR! Ratings do not contribute to your WR, so many ignore this because they chase high WR and you can't have that if you do rating. Personally I like rating battles, they are not perfect, there are still flaws, but the concept is right and if more used it then maybe, just maybe, it would work as intended.

Ours is not to reason why, ours is just to kill, kill kill - War is hell, maybe :justwait:

VISIT MY YT CHANNELhttps://www.youtube....2L0jDqH-GsulArQ

Also tagged with MM, Rating Battles

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users