REALISTIC MODE - Top Tips & Helpful stuff

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Colmain595 #1 Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:52 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 43201 battles
  • [KRH]

OK folks first thing to remember thus is Blitz run by WG and its only a game.  So it's only realistic in terms of the game meta, game engine and what WG have decided.  I've put together some top tips that might help less experienced players get the container, avatar and camo skin.  So here goes:

COMBAT INDICATORS

1.  Look for falling trees - indicates red wagon nearby.

2.  Look for objects such as fences, huts etc collapsing.  This could indicate 4 things:

a.   Red wagon nearby having just gone over/through it.

b.   Reds conducting recon by fire.

c.   Stray rounds.

d.   Reds clearing their field of fire of objects so they can later use HE rounds.

3.  When one of the A-D bases or flag base lights up temporarily - Red wagon going through or very nearby.

4.  Flag base or A-B base lights up - Red in circles.  The faster the base is captured the more Reds there are likely to be.

CONTACT

1.  When you come under effective Red fire (that is you taking damage) - jockie out of position behind hard cover.  Don't return to your same firing point as the Red most likely has you pre sighted.

2.  Red pre-seen - what you can do when you see the Reds before they see you.  This all depends on terrain, your wagon type, distance etc etc and how you play etc but here are a few wee tips for 'Realistic Mode'

a.  Highlight - Lightup the Red for as long as you can.  This lets the rest of your team see the Red and            engage.

b.  Engage!  Get those rounds down onto target, get the damage in as long as you are not seen but have a route to get away via hard cover when you are.  

FIRE AND MANOUVRE

1.  Plan your route, scan ahead for likely Red firing points and ambush points.  Remember to look to foreground and background in depth.  Be aware of dead ground.

2.  Use the lay of the ground, move behind hard and soft cover, move in short bounds.  

3.  Never sky line, that is motor along the ridge of a high feature or crest a hill, unless you have no option (such as during close quarter melee, bugging out or taking advantage of a favourable situation).

4.  The Reds are out there looking to smash you and scanning just like you.  So look for potential Red firing points and fire a round - Recon by fire- at either a suspected or good firing point.  Nothing there then nothing lost or you might discover a target and force the Red into action.

5.  Observe your arcs,  your 45s we called them in the army.  

6.  Be situationally aware as much as you can.  You might not know where the Reds are but keep an eye on your team mates.  Give them as much mutual support as you can (not always easy in Blitz though lol).

7.  After each contact, if you can, take a moment, observe your arcs and check your rear before carrying on.

8.  Never motor along in a straight line in open ground for more than 3 seconds if you don't know where the Reds are.

WHERE TO AIM

So for the newer players if in doubt aim at/target:

1.  Gun ports (except the main gun/armament).

2.  Hatches, optics and cupolas.  

3.  Tank rear - always best to flank your enemy.

4.  Tank sides - but remember, many wagons have spaced armour here so if you don't know your target areas you might not get through.

5.   Target the front Sprocket (front wheel) or rear idler (back wheel) if you want to immobilise a red.

Unless you are familiar with the various weak spots of other tanks you could also aim for the turret cheeks, sides and rear.  Various tanks are also, but not all, have weak upper and or upper glacis plates. Assume most TDs are hard as nails at the front.  If you are having trouble penning a Red, try switching the nature of ammo.  HE or HESH might cause a wee bit of damage, something is better than nothing.  HE is also good during close quarter melee or when you have successfully flanked a Red.

YOUR WAGON LOAD OUT

1.  Prior to trundling out on the field of Realistic Blitz choose your wagon's camo scheme carefully.  Blend into your environment.  Anything bright and eye catching will make you much more easier to see. Darker cams are 50/50, as again you are more visible but you can 'hide' amongst the knocked out wagons or be mistaken for a knocked out wagon.  Choose more natural colours, it does make a difference.  Some wagons might be better off without a camo scheme, such as olive drab, saves you credits.

2.  As always, choose what you carry, provisions/consumerables wise, in such a way as to maximise your play style/wagon strengths within the 'Realistic Mode' battle space.

WORKING THE GAME MODE

Realistic Mode allows you to use all your wagons in your tank park (garage) irrespective of their crew experience.  So take advantage of this and grind those wagons you are working on.  The mode also has no effect on your WR (if that matters to you).  Again it is also a good play to earn credits similar to ratings.  If you can play reasonably well in this mode, by that I mean get more damage on the Reds by virtue of not being seen, you can earn more XP/credits than in Ratings.

This list isn't everything and I know isn't probably much use to many older players.  Hopefully it will give less experienced players a wee hand along the way.  And fear British armour, it's the best (the crews inside certainly are).

Im on a hill on overwatch somewhere near you.  Watch and shoot, watch and shoot.

Huzzah!

Edited by Colmain595, 11 June 2019 - 10:27 AM.

Pururut #2 Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:40 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23320 battles
  • [1RTR_]

Just a couple of things I want to add for intermediate and advanced.

• Try to forget the traditional roles concerning tank classes. A light tank doesnt have to do the initial spottings by rushing to the middle of the map. Heavy tanks dont need to stay in the forefront. Tank destroyers cannot reliably snipe from the back. Be on the move, stay close to your team and/or try to stay near bushes and sloped terrain.
  • If you are good at multitasking or young, communicate with the team. This advice is all thanks to Minitel as I wouldnt have realized that spotted enemies dont show up on the minimap. To compensate; ping the map, use the attack command and tell or predict the position and movement of enemy formation in as few and clear words as possible. A lot of people still have their chat open and pay attention. You can also keep your sights on tanks to keep them lighted up but most players dont pay attention.

That is it for now. One cant think properly at 4 AM and there is work tomorrow. Will add a few more points later. Probably. Maybe.

Pyon

jonty_2014 #3 Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:32 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 65929 battles
  • [EMRS]
Colmain - best guide ever.  All those years in HM’s service clearly leading up to that point.

The key takeaway is - light up the reds, try not to be a piñata.

Empros is recruiting! Message me in game to apply.

Fugit555 #4 Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:48 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 26769 battles
  • [49DIV]
oh and watch my vid lol

Ours is not to reason why, ours is just to kill, kill kill - War is hell, maybe :justwait:

VISIT MY YT CHANNELhttps://www.youtube....2L0jDqH-GsulArQ

efoster29 #5 Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:29 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 54481 battles
  • [BKRAP]
I have not seen anyone pinging the map in ages, thought it had been removed or they are using a PC which never had this ability.

llo1 #6 Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:46 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 28183 battles
  • [1RTR]

Proves just how bad I am, whilst I already apply Colmain595's recommendations, I have no idea how to "ping the map"!

Someone please educate me!

gallabru #7 Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:37 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17512 battles
  • [LAGER]

The only big thing to me is that spotting mechanism is completely different : no camo rating, infinite visibility, no minimap.

Proximity spotting is useless. You may die right in the middle of 7 reds without your team even noticing.

The only way to tag a tank is aim directly at him, with physical visibility, so he gets delineated in red and all your team knows where it is. You can then press the 'attack' button or press the sector on the minimap in hope your team cares. The good news is that it can be done from across the map. If you know your maps and your routes, it is easy to spot the tanks while they ar going to their usual positions (like the TD bushes on DeadRails).

The thing I am not sure of is how camo and bushes work in this mode.

My team stats in real time  : http://forum.wotblit...ats-repository/

Carlsberg clan family is recruiting. Contact us.

ballist1x #8 Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:06 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 20389 battles
  • [VIBE5]
Oh and dont forget, turn auto aim on and move around randomly until your auto aim fixes on a target that you vant see and abuse that mechanic.

Colmain595 #9 Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:54 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 43201 battles
  • [KRH]

I really enjoy this mode.  I'm only guessing here on this one in regards to spotting mechanics but when you go firm and your camo setting kicks in, you become harder to see from distance, so will only be seen by being directly looked upon.  Moving your turret or gun arc will not attract attention.

Remember to look sharp at all times.  You really need to have your wits about you.  Observe your arcs, move short bounds and scan.  I like the way you can see Red wagons scooting about before you 'light' them up.  It's hilarious as well as fustrating when you can see a Red and no one else's notices lol.  Getting in amongst it is great to, that moment in close quarter melee when you realise the wagon next to you for the last minute is a Red lol.

I'm not sure if it is a fault with the game at my end or something I have set up but I never have had the hit skin shades appear in game since I started playing.  Which I prefer to be honest.  Aiming and targeting the vulnerable spots on wagons is much more intuitive to me.  I've noticed many players at close to middle range not knowing where to target in realistic mode.  So for the newer players if in doubt aim at/target:

1.  Gun ports (except the main gun/armament).

2.  Hatches and cupolas.  

3.  Tank rear - always best to flank your enemy.

4.  Tank sides - but remember, many wagons have spaced armour here so if you don't know your target areas you might not get through.

5.   Target the front Sprocket (front wheel) or rear idler (back wheel) if you want to immobilise a red.

Unless you know what the weak areas on a tank are you can aim for but might not get through by targeting the turret cheeks, sides and rear.  As well as the upper or lower glacis plate or differing tanks.  Assume the front of most TDs are hard as nails.  I'll add this to the above post.

To think in WW1 optics were the Mk 1 eyeball.  In WW2 the Mk 1 eyeball was assisted by increasingly better optics as the war went on but they had no TOGs, lasers, gun kits, auto lay etc, it was as it is in realistic mode now - "Watch your front".  

Huzzah!

Edited by Colmain595, 11 June 2019 - 10:12 AM.

Pururut #10 Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23320 battles
  • [1RTR_]

View Postefoster29, on 11 June 2019 - 09:29 AM, said:

I have not seen anyone pinging the map in ages, thought it had been removed or they are using a PC which never had this ability.

Oh but it does. Wargaming simply didnt bother with showing the players how to do it. It is done using the same method as Wargamings other PC titles. Press and hold left-ctrl, this will make the cursor appear. Lead it to the map and click on the area you want to ping.

Edited by Pururut, 11 June 2019 - 11:18 PM.

Pyon

DumbApe #11 Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:33 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 26052 battles
  • [HRG]

I have been enjoying the new mode although it took a bit of getting used to...  For me the initial problem was breaking normal game habits and finding out to my surprise that my aggressive tendencies could be an advantage.  I have been playing the more mobile heavies and fast light/meds. So CDC, LTTB, T44 and the French Mod 49 as well as the Charioteer. Trying to avoid the scope as much as possible as this massively reduces the line of sight spotting possibilities. I have found that it is possible to spot right across the map pretty easily with a lot of players not realising how this mode works - it certainly took me a few games to realise, but once I did I was getting 2&3k pretty regularly.  Of course, I got jumped quite a few times too and had a few nil point games after being on the end of a red storm.

I  think this is a really interesting variant of the game and I think it could help players develop at lower tiers quite a lot.  It forces folks to look, move and work as team really well IMO and could maybe be come into the game options at tier 3 in encounter battles. 

I got the camo and will continue playing it as it is a hoot.  Thanks WG.

Old Ape new tricks. Go Ape Be happy Party On!    

Hell Raiser Gang [HRG] -   Bananas in aures habeo. Non possum te audiunt.

llo1 #12 Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:07 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 28183 battles
  • [1RTR]

Just been to play blitz, only to find the Realistic mode is not highlighted in the battle sequence. 

It also says "will be available in 2 hours"!

Is thus normal?

Are there periods where the game is unavailable?

Oh and it isn't an update / maintenance period as the regular games are still available.

Mjr_Eazy #13 Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:34 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27191 battles
  • [BT_SV]

View Postllo1, on 12 June 2019 - 04:07 AM, said:

Just been to play blitz, only to find the Realistic mode is not highlighted in the battle sequence. 

It also says "will be available in 2 hours"!

Is thus normal?

Are there periods where the game is unavailable?

Oh and it isn't an update / maintenance period as the regular games are still available.

Yeah, it’s unavailable overnight, can’t remember exact times but it is in the news article about realistic mode in-game.

547146227.png

Replicant_2 #14 Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:21 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5477 battles
  • [HRG]
Do you guys ever sleep?

On topic, I must say I really struggle in this mode, had some high dmg battles but mostly crushing defeats.
I find that the teams can be divided into those that run as an aggressive wolf pack and those that lose.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

llo1 #15 Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:15 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 28183 battles
  • [1RTR]

View PostReplicant_2, on 12 June 2019 - 11:21 AM, said:

Do you guys ever sleep?

Of course.....but sometimes we work strange hours, which means our relaxation time is also strange hours!

_RagingRabbit_ #16 Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:21 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 13702 battles
  • [FTC-4]
I can't play it except in small and very fast tanks. Guess a troll IS tank works as well. The most important tip is to use either no camo or good "blending in the background" camo. I found that out the harsh way driving my AMX 49 with the French flag on it.

Mjr_Eazy #17 Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27191 battles
  • [BT_SV]

Good point re the camo, it might be worth the credits for a desert or winter one but no point wasting credits on summer one...

In this mode, I find T-34-85, T-43, T-54lwt. T-54 and T-62a very good and MT-25 is OP

547146227.png

_BeLLaTrix_PoTenS_ #18 Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:36 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13946 battles
  • [-BPS-]

@Colmaine595

That’s super considerate of you to think to do that! It’s amazing, thank you! xx

Silent_Cougar #19 Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:27 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 35087 battles
  • [-WLV-]
Been following this thread on and off, and although this is the last day of the mode EU server anyway, its been fun  (at times), got the camo and the more than useful avatar ;) in 1st day YT video showing 1st battles..There have been some great high scoring battles and some not so high, but those I have found to be the ones where the non rng mentions come to mind.  ''That one went right through'' has been a bug bare all week lol... Just one thing, if they bring realistic mode back that is something that requires looking at. I mean you are told if you hit and can penetrate firing AP dmg of 400, then you will score 400,,,thats fine, perfect, yet you hit a red, clean flat side on, rear on, or direct lower glacis and you hear the proverbial message lol....''That one went right through'' grrr,,,lost count how many i have had of those. But as said, its a fun mode, like Mad Games...No effect on WR (if they really matter) or stats. A few tricks have been picked up on spme maps, using dead tank carcasses as cover, especially those already on map, Rockfield Tigers etc. Makes for being sneaky, but thats what this mode is all about, being sneaky, hiding and popping shots off when they can't see you...Anyway, hope all have enjoyed it, and looking forward to its return, without the 'went right through's lol...

The_Mighty_Wombat #20 Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37335 battles
  • [-GNA-]

View PostSilent_Cougar, on 16 June 2019 - 10:27 PM, said:

Been following this thread on and off, and although this is the last day of the mode EU server anyway, its been fun  (at times), got the camo and the more than useful avatar ;) in 1st day YT video showing 1st battles..There have been some great high scoring battles and some not so high, but those I have found to be the ones where the non rng mentions come to mind.  ''That one went right through'' has been a bug bare all week lol... Just one thing, if they bring realistic mode back that is something that requires looking at. I mean you are told if you hit and can penetrate firing AP dmg of 400, then you will score 400,,,thats fine, perfect, yet you hit a red, clean flat side on, rear on, or direct lower glacis and you hear the proverbial message lol....''That one went right through'' grrr,,,lost count how many i have had of those. But as said, its a fun mode, like Mad Games...No effect on WR (if they really matter) or stats. A few tricks have been picked up on spme maps, using dead tank carcasses as cover, especially those already on map, Rockfield Tigers etc. Makes for being sneaky, but thats what this mode is all about, being sneaky, hiding and popping shots off when they can't see you...Anyway, hope all have enjoyed it, and looking forward to its return, without the 'went right through's lol...

its part of the “voice pack” thats says something when an action happens.

This is usually a hit the caused no damage. So failed to penetrate main armor.

Same thing happens when the say High Explosive “bounced”

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users