Smashing Camo Contest

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

RibbleStripe #1 Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:43 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Administrator
  • 926 battles
  • [WG]
Camouflage is not just a pattern that disguises a tank's hull. It's a secret weapon. Allies are more likely to follow a vehicle wearing a stylish camouflage, while the enemy will think twice before firing at such beauty!

We'd like to invite you to participate in the Smashing Camo contest! Get locked and loaded with a graphic editor and create your own warpaint. Creators of the three best works will be awarded the following prizes: the FV217 Badger, the AMX 30 1er prototype, and the IS-3 Defender. The brightest and most original warpaint may later be added to the game!

Contest dates:
Works will be accepted from August 9 through August 22.
The contest results will be announced no later than September 6.

General provisions:
1. The rules establish the procedure for the Smashing Camo contest.
2. The organizer of the contest is the World of Tanks Blitz team.
3. The contest is held in all World of Tanks Blitz regions: CIS, Europe, North America, and Asia.
4. The jury of the contest reserves the right not to consider works that do not meet the requirements and rules of the contest nor communicate with participants and explain the reasons for refusal.
5. By participating in the contest, you agree to the contest rules.
6. The organizer reserves the right to make decisions on all issues related to the contest, including changing the rules and resolving disputes at its discretion.

Conditions and rules for participation in the contest:
1. The task of the contest participant is to create a striking and original camouflage and send it to blitz_camo@wargaming.net.
2. Any World of Tanks Blitz player can submit their work to the contest. Each participant may submit no more than one work.
3. Please note that contest works must not have any political connotations, provoke conflicts, promote prohibited substances, and violate moral, ethical, and legal norms, as well as the End User License Agreement. If the work violates the above requirements, it will be withdrawn from the contest.
4. The work must be created specifically for the contest during the contest period.
5. The contest camouflage must be unique and not like any warpaint that already exists in the game.
6. After the work has been sent to the contest email, exclusive rights to it are transferred to Wargaming.net in accordance with Section 10 Exclusive Rights of the End User License Agreement.

How to create camouflage
1. The size of the contest camouflage image must be 256x256 pixels. The work must be in the form of the attached image of a general view of the camouflage on the selected tank.
Example

2. The picture must be in the form of a tile—a small image of a certain size which is a fragment of a large picture.
The tile can be either transparent or semi-transparent.
The sides of the tile must fit together to form an image as shown below:
Example

3. To create a contest work, follow the instructions below:
Select one of the tank templates (E100T110E5IS-7) and download it in psd format.
Open the template with Adobe Photoshop.
Double-click the left mouse button on the layer “Tap to edit”:
Example

In the opened window, insert your own camouflage and stretch it according to the markup: 
Example
Press Ctrl + S (for Windows) or Cmd + S (for Mac) to save your camouflage. The image in the file should be automatically updated: 
Example
Send your work to the contest email blitz_camo@wargaming.net.

How to submit a work
Contest works must be sent to blitz_camo@wargaming.net.
The email subject must contain the [Camo] tag, as well as the player nickname and region (CIS, EU, NA, and ASIA). For example, [Camo] RibbleStripe — EU.
The file with the contest work must be attached to the email and named in accordance with the "Camo — player nickname — region" template. For example, Camo — RibbleStripe — EU.
The email must contain the following information: player nickname, server, and camouflage name (if any). 
The email must contain at least two screenshots demonstrating the process of creating camouflage at different stages.

Prizes
There will be three winners in each region (CIS, Europe, North America, and Asia). 
1st place: FV217 Badger and 60 days of Premium Account
2nd place: AMX 30 1er prototype and 45 days of Premium Account
3rd place: IS-3 Defender and 30 days of Premium Account 
The jury may also grant special rewards for works that are not among the three winners. 
Winners will receive their rewards within a week after the announcement of the results.

Determining the winners
The jury of the contest is the World of Tanks Blitz team.
Contest works will be judged on quality, the originality of the idea, and relevance to the game's theme.

Adding camouflage to the game
One or more of the brightest and most original warpaints may later appear in the game. However, if the warpaints selected for adding to the game are not in line with the visual style of World of Tanks Blitz, they may be partially changed.

MarsIsBrightTonight #2 Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:55 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 29405 battles
  • [OBB]

Nice contest.

Now how about NOT requiring a program that I never use and costs me more than I'll ever spend on WoTB in my life?

Did you do this on purpose?

EDIT: Also the E100 link appears to be broken... I quit. I [edited]quit.

What the [edited] is wrong with you, WG?

Edited by MarsIsBrightTonight, 11 August 2019 - 11:09 AM.

"Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing for something." (Wilson Mizner, US playwriter, 1876-1933)

Mjr_Eazy #3 Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27921 battles
  • [BT_SV]

So much anger ;)

Do what I’m going to, download the 7 day free trial, make a camo and then cancel the trial, costs nothing...

GIMP/GIMPSHOP/GIMPHOTO are open source psd editors and might work...

Photopea is a free online psd editor which might work too...

but I’m going with FREE TRIAL version of Photoshop...

547146227.png

MarsIsBrightTonight #4 Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:27 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 29405 battles
  • [OBB]

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 11 August 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

So much anger ;)

Do what I’m going to, download the 7 day free trial, make a camo and then cancel the trial, costs nothing...

GIMP/GIMPSHOP/GIMPHOTO are open source psd editors and might work...

Photopea is a free online psd editor which might work too...

but I’m going with FREE TRIAL version of Photoshop...

The anger is due to having already tried several venues with no joy.

Honestly, Mjr, what was wrong with allowing the submission of a tileable 256x256 image, which makes for 99% of the brainwork? 

My GIMP opens the .psd file, I follow their guidelines, but the image does not update as it ought to.

With Photopea I cannot paste from my computer into the file.

Can you give me a link to the free trial? I only see 24€/month "plans" from where I'm standing.

Found it. It requires a credit card... given the average demographic, you can see how well it goes: "Hi Daddy can you lend me your plastic, I only need it for a week, it's for a contest in an online game I swear I'll cancel in a week and it'll cost you nothing, please please please Daddy?"

I'll let you know if I get lucky with Adobe proper.

Oh and good luck sending an e-mail with a 16Mb attachment...

On the whole, the contest seems tailored to have as few submissions as possible.

Edited by MarsIsBrightTonight, 11 August 2019 - 03:40 PM.

"Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing for something." (Wilson Mizner, US playwriter, 1876-1933)

Black_Wolf_Ja #5 Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:44 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9374 battles
  • [XMEN-]

Too bad, i wanted to partecipate, but the E-100 page ain't working.

MarsIsBrightTonight #6 Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:38 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 29405 battles
  • [OBB]

View PostBlack_Wolf_Ja, on 12 August 2019 - 07:44 AM, said:

Too bad, i wanted to partecipate, but the E-100 page ain't working.

The E100 link that you access from the game News section is viable... try scrolling down on this page:

https://wotblitz.eu/...amo-contest-eu/

Mjr_Eazy #7 Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27921 battles
  • [BT_SV]
Fair enough m8, honestly, I think you’re right though, they don’t want too many entries...

547146227.png

Pururut #8 Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23326 battles
  • [1RTR_]

I used to create outrageous anime camos via Gimp for Warthunder. Thankfully Gaijin saw what was coming and made camouflages viewable only to the ones using them. Neverthless, the part about political connotations, provoke conflicts, promote prohibited substances, and violate moral, ethical, and legal norms is far too vague+subjective for my taste. The fact that the works are going to be judged by their relevance to the games theme, god knows what it is, is not helping either. 

Looking forward to something actually creative and unique this time. Would very likely buy if it has an itasha or historical theme. 

Edited by Pururut, 12 August 2019 - 06:15 PM.

Sick of politics

MarsIsBrightTonight #9 Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:01 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 29405 battles
  • [OBB]

View PostPururut, on 12 August 2019 - 06:13 PM, said:

The fact that the works are going to be judged by their relevance to the games theme, god knows what it is, 

I guess it's somewhat between "it actually could resemble a camo make the tank harder to identify if you're drunk as a skunk and squint your eyes a LOT" and "We do what we want AHRR AHRR AHRR"

Submitting my attempt as I speak. It involves attaching a 29Mb size file, so you can imagine how GMail reacted. If you can't, search for cat + cucumber in Youtube.

Mjr, if you have a university background, this looks like some open competitions for a grant I've had the misfortune of being in: the call for tender gets out in the middle of summer, the poster is behind a door in the ladies' toilet, nobody answers the phone/nobody knows which office is it/the janitor is always out to lunch. Then you gather all the requested documents, including the phone bills of the last 6 years, a picture of your kindergarten attendant, and the certificate of conformity of a left-handed chainsaw, and you read, written in Size 6, that two years of past experience doing research on the distribution of armpit hair in bisexual baboons of the Upper Kamchatka is a "preferential requirement"... and you just give up.

Mjr_Eazy #10 Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:42 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27921 battles
  • [BT_SV]

I know what u mean but it never bothered me, I’m right handed with chainsaws ;)

Seriously tho, why let it bug you, competitions have rules, the person whose competition it is sets the rule...

It’s WG and they’re not gonna listen...

For me, I don’t see what the problem is, you’ve just said you’re submitting an entry....

547146227.png

Skullcandy #11 Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:09 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 22744 battles
  • [1RTR]

View PostRibbleStripe, on 09 August 2019 - 08:43 AM, said:

6. After the work has been sent to the contest email, exclusive rights to it are transferred to Wargaming.net in accordance with Section 10 Exclusive Rights of the End User License Agreement.

Section 10 is the epilepsy warning, by the way. :)

Also, that conflicts with British law. Works of art or media produced by citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain are automatically copyrighted to the creator, with no registration required. If you wanted to use it or have rights transferred, you’re actually required to make a request in writing to the creator. Law trumps EULA. :)

Edited by Skullcandy, 13 August 2019 - 10:11 AM.

Leader of 1RTR. | 1RTR on Discord "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." – Winston Churchill

Mjr_Eazy #12 Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27921 battles
  • [BT_SV]

As I understand it you're right you would have to grant them permission and transfer the ownership in writing. 

I guess if you submit an entry and don’t state you don’t accept the transfer of ownership you’d still own it but would not win the compo and by submitting an entry you are agreeing to the transfer...

Plus, who ya gonna sue, GL getting anyone from the fake Cyprus HQ in a UK court...

Mind you I would be gutted if I won (not gonna happen I can assure you) and they sold it for lots of gold...

547146227.png

MarsIsBrightTonight #13 Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:18 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 29405 battles
  • [OBB]

Question: has anyone been able to, actually and successfully, submit an entry? My puny email [edited] bricks at the mere thought of sending a 20+ Mb attachment, and nowhere it says that you can export the .psd as a lossless flat image...

You're right Mjr in saying that I shouldn't let it bug me, it's the bane of my working life too.

EndToast_LOCA #14 Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 33956 battles
  • [R2W]

View PostMarsIsBrightTonight, on 13 August 2019 - 03:18 PM, said:

Question: has anyone been able to, actually and successfully, submit an entry? My puny email sh*ts bricks at the mere thought of sending a 20+ Mb attachment, and nowhere it says that you can export the .psd as a lossless flat image...

You're right Mjr in saying that I shouldn't let it bug me, it's the bane of my working life too.

Try to use Winrar or 7-Zip. If not, it has to be below 20MB :)

The_Mighty_Wombat #15 Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:50 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37544 battles
  • [-GNA-]

Ok, mines done. I hope it sent correctly.

SeBaS_BliTZ #16 Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:45 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9700 battles
  • [LGR]
Im in, I hope i will win this contest on EU SERVER.

MarsIsBrightTonight #17 Posted 31 August 2019 - 12:32 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 29405 battles
  • [OBB]

In the end I did not submit my camos. Couldn't be [edited] to jump through hoops.

Showing them here, just for the lulz:

Thorns

Thorns

Mud

Mud

Wire (needed more wire)

Wire

Edited by MarsIsBrightTonight, 31 August 2019 - 12:36 PM.

EndToast_LOCA #18 Posted 31 August 2019 - 03:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 33956 battles
  • [R2W]

View PostMarsIsBrightTonight, on 31 August 2019 - 01:32 PM, said:

In the end I did not submit my camos. Couldn't be [edited] to jump through hoops.

Showing them here, just for the lulz:

Thorns

Thorns

Mud

Mud

Wire (needed more wire)

Wire

In my humble opinion they are too extravagant :D

HerrGuggi #19 Posted 02 September 2019 - 06:50 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10739 battles
  • [0XIDE]

where can I see the winner camos ?

Greenniketes #20 Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:31 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 24565 battles
  • [UTB]

Contest dates:
Works will be accepted from August 9 through August 22.
The contest results will be announced no later than September 6.

;-)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users