• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Replicant_2 #1 Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:23 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 5969 battles
  • [HRG]

hello fellow tankers,

does anyone know if it’s possible to somehow trick the client to load older replays?

I do appreciate that there could be some minor inconsistencies but that’s fine in my book.

If it was as simple as changing version numbers in order to make the client believe it’s a valid replay, that would be great.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Mjr_Leicht #2 Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:48 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3965 battles
  • [BT_SV]

View PostReplicant_2, on 08 October 2019 - 10:23 AM, said:

hello fellow tankers,

does anyone know if it’s possible to somehow trick the client to load older replays?

I do appreciate that there could be some minor inconsistencies but that’s fine in my book.

If it was as simple as changing version numbers in order to make the client believe it’s a valid replay, that would be great.

Technically it should be possible to convert from old to new, I don't know of any existing way of doing it though...

The people at wotinspector.com might have some ideas, if you post to their forum...

What you can do is upload them to wotinspector.com and then you can watch them on-line there...

560273467.png

Marty93_ #3 Posted 08 October 2019 - 02:18 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 22327 battles
  • [1RTR_]
Maps (and other things like tank models and stats) tend to change from update to update and I assume this information is not included in the replay files. So that alone will be a good reason that older replays can‘t be loaded. But maybe minitelrose can say more about this.

Chairman_merpug #4 Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:26 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 45805 battles
  • [AFK]
Older replays won't work in the current client. The most recent utterance from Minsk is that it will be a long time before that happens. You can still run them in Map Inspector, though, and see tactics and shots.

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug

llo1 #5 Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:48 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 28343 battles
  • [1RTR]

Doesn't it depend on the actual "age" of the replays?

I can download and play the oldest replay (limited number I know as I don't save everything) stored on my "cloud drive"  which tells me it is possible.

Before the replays were available to me in the relevant update, I seem to think that there weren't any replays to replay...so the question is irrelevant!

Replicant_2 #6 Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:07 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 5969 battles
  • [HRG]
Thanks guys, I know I can watch replays (and I do) online and I figured it out that officialy it’s not happening.
I was just wondering if anyone knows any “unofficial” way of convincing the client to load them by for example modifying headers in the replay file.
Doesn’t look like it’s the case though.

Time to die.

Chairman_merpug #7 Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:35 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 45805 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostReplicant_2, on 09 October 2019 - 07:07 AM, said:

Thanks guys, I know I can watch replays (and I do) online and I figured it out that officialy it’s not happening.
I was just wondering if anyone knows any “unofficial” way of convincing the client to load them by for example modifying headers in the replay file.
Doesn’t look like it’s the case though.

Well, if you could figure out a way to sandbox old versions of the client so they didn't update, and figure out how to make it work without logging in to the server, then it should be possible. The trouble is that the game runs on WG's servers, all you have on your device is some pretty stuff. Serverside changes are what cause the problem. 

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug

Replicant_2 #8 Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:41 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 5969 battles
  • [HRG]

View PostChairman_merpug, on 09 October 2019 - 09:35 AM, said:

Well, if you could figure out a way to sandbox old versions of the client so they didn't update, and figure out how to make it work without logging in to the server, then it should be possible. The trouble is that the game runs on WG's servers, all you have on your device is some pretty stuff. Serverside changes are what cause the problem. 

That's a fair point.

I somehow assumed that replays run entirely client side as all game mechanics like RNG, spotting etc have already been determined in the game and saved to file so technically a replay shouldn't be anything more than displaying the "pretty stuff".

Time to die.

gallabru #9 Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:55 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17515 battles
  • [LAGER]

If everything was stored in the replays, it would mean that the actual positions of the reds would be too.

Then, that this information would be available somehow on the client during game too... now that would be wothwhile fiddling with the files in real time.

My team stats in real time  : http://forum.wotblit...ats-repository/

Carlsberg clan family is recruiting. Contact us.

Replicant_2 #10 Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:03 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 5969 battles
  • [HRG]

View Postgallabru, on 09 October 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

If everything was stored in the replays, it would mean that the actual positions of the reds would be too.

Then, that this information would be available somehow on the client during game too... now that would be wothwhile fiddling with the files in real time.

why would it need to include red tank positions? until they're spotted they are not drawn, no problem there. Once they are spotted, their positions are saved in the replay file, otherwise wotinspector wouldn't be able to show their positions.

Effectively what I'd like to be able to see is the same information that we get in the wotinspector but displayed using the in-game 3D engine instead of a flat map. nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by Replicant_2, 09 October 2019 - 10:06 AM.

Time to die.

Mjr_Eazy #11 Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:17 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27895 battles
  • [BT_SV]

I assumed what you were after was a way to make the files look like they are from the latest version of the game...

The files do have a header and specific formats and should contain everything the server needs to re-play it but I’ve not found anything about converting them and don’t think it’s as easy as changing a version number in the file...

Jylpah or Minitelrose or the guys at wotinspector.com are the experts here, you’d be best off posting to wotinspector.com forum...

547146227.png

minitelrose #12 Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 72118 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostChairman_merpug, on 09 October 2019 - 10:35 AM, said:

I’m pretty sure if you keep old versions (=client) of the game, and, for exemple installing them on android simulator on PC (or even on some phone, why not), you could load the relevant version of that old client and watch them as intended then. I don’t see any issue, except that nobody (that I know of) has tried.

I know for sure the client can launch offline and read a replay, that’s easy to do.

And I’m absolutely certain that replay files are irremediably different internally from version to version. That’s why it always takes a few days after a release to get wotinspector.com compatible with the new files.

for all other things, you got https://replays.wotinspector.com/en/ there you can store and watch replays until the end of the internets. Visual quality is, hmm,  different, but it’s the best we have. I always watch my replays there. At least once or twice per game session, it’s much more efficient,  convenient and meaningful than in the client.

Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

I want just that, and replay files.

minitelrose #13 Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:25 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 72118 battles
  • [AFK]

View Postgallabru, on 09 October 2019 - 10:55 AM, said:

they aren’t.
It would make cheaters within days on wotPC.

the server only tells your device stuff you absolutely need to know, and that’s it.

what seems to be in the replay, though, is the tiny difference between what your devices thinks is happening (positions, input), and the later server corrections of those things. 

in wotinspector it looks  more like the server side of stuff, and some event may sometimes happen slightly different from a replay in the client.

perfect exemple :

Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

Replicant_2 #14 Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:02 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 5969 battles
  • [HRG]
Many thanks minitelrose, interesting stuff there.
Keeping all client version is a non-starter and I do use the amazingly useful resource that is wotinspector although probably not nearly as much as I should.

What I find most curious is what you said about the file changing dramatically between releases. Am I right assuming that it’s WG intentionally scrambling the data as otherwise there shouldn’t be any need for a new format for each minor release.

Time to die.

minitelrose #15 Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:24 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 72118 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostReplicant_2, on 10 October 2019 - 10:02 AM, said:

Many thanks minitelrose, interesting stuff there.
Keeping all client version is a non-starter and I do use the amazingly useful resource that is wotinspector although probably not nearly as much as I should.

What I find most curious is what you said about the file changing dramatically between releases. Am I right assuming that it’s WG intentionally scrambling the data as otherwise there shouldn’t be any need for a new format for each minor release.

i aslo thought it’s only minor changes, since even tank rebalance don’t need to be in there at all.

i still think a part of it is artificial, like the version written somewhere automatically locks the replay by default

but there are Also constant changes in the code, optimisation, server and other stuff that maybe aren’t even related to the game,
and that reason suffices to want to lock versions rather than have any files load, start and make your app crash which is something no developer wants. 

anyways I have no further insight, but I asked andrew who develops map inspector, and he says there are sometimes deep changes between versions, even to invisible stuff.

Read my guides there

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users