Atelier de construction d’Issy les Moulineaux, Chasseur de Char

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

minitelrose #1 Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 72118 battles
  • [AFK]

Someone in NA called the CDC a fantasy tank, and I decided to go investigate how much of the CDC is fantasy. 

here are the results of this search, if you have better info, I’m interested of course.

So below are the most complete documents that I have found.

have they built a prototype ? we can’t really answer.

of course most views are typical technical drawings, side views, cutaway views, exploded views, details.

one of the more intriguing views is a perspective that looks like a pasted photograph that was painted over, The edges of the tank look drawn (edges), but many photograph from back them were painted over just like today car pictures and top models are photoshopped. 

But the tracks and perspective (focal length) are very photographic, and more detailed than could be drawn by hand (or would be needed to, imo) or made of wood.

So was there a large or small model done, or is that picture painted over the photograph of another tank (reuse of the chassis and tracks of some M4 variant?)

the big issue is that the scans are black and white (not greyscale) with very poor resolution (some letters are just dots), and then internet jpg compression was added. the source of the picture says DGA (direction générale des armées, equivalent Pentagone or something), and the drawings are marked from the AMX company and dated 1946.

the other issue is that every mention i find that says a prototype wasn’t built is referencing this site :

https://www.chars-francais.net/2015/index.php/liste-chronologique/de-1945-a-1990?task=view&id=729

but it says, in French something like  “project wasn’t followed through”. which doesn’t meant where or when the project stopped. So it’s difficult to say whether a prototype was built or not, or some parts were: usually chassis and tracks were built first, engine was german and turret usually built sepsrwtely, or if it wasn’t built at all. As   It mentionned AMX was studying the M4 (later becoming amx50) and that CDC was reusing parts, maybe we can consider that parts of the CDC were built as various  M4 were produced?

of course in 1946 throughout Europe there wasn’t much steel to make stuff if it wasn’t an absolute necessity (and soviet invasion was, but pet projects weren’t)

so if anyone manages to find better info I’d be delighted to see it and learn.

for my part , I like these pictures, we can see that all systems are resolved and shown in details. anyone with these prints and enough resources could build one with little room for guesses.

That’s why guys you can make up your own opinion, but I don’t call this type of tanks “fake tanks” or “fantasy”. 

you may call it “blue print tank” but that’s the case of a good third of the tech tree if not half. 

Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

I want just that, and replay files.

minitelrose #2 Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 72118 battles
  • [AFK]

Finally got the courage of digging in :

Original pictures from

https://sites.google.com/site/tankisworldoftanks/francia/amx-chasseur-de-chars

https://i.imgur.com/vLkqetU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KkbNQVq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sicDCk4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6Dlw1qx.jpg

Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

Chairman_merpug #3 Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:35 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 45805 battles
  • [AFK]
All I know is that there isn't one at Saumur, though there are some amazing French tanks there. Still gutted that my battery failed and I got no pix of the ARL, AMX 13, Leclerc, AMX50 or Panhard EBR. As an aside, I'd love to see you driving a veeled wehicle, mini...

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug

Mjr_Eazy #4 Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:23 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27895 battles
  • [BT_SV]

Nice one Mini.

Very interesting.

I think it’s about definitions, for me it’s a fantasy tank.  It wasn’t built and saw service so it’s not a real tank in my book. I know that applies to tons of the tanks here but I’m not expecting realism from a mobile arcade tank shoot-em up game.  I don’t understand why people get so bothered by it, it’s a game, it’s not real, it’s not meant to be a WWII tank simulator...

I’m interested in the history and find stuff like you posted above interesting though.

547146227.png

minitelrose #5 Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:34 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 72118 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 09 October 2019 - 07:23 AM, said:

Nice one Mini.

Very interesting.

I think it’s about definitions, for me it’s a fantasy tank.  It wasn’t built and saw service so it’s not a real tank in my book. I know that applies to tons of the tanks here but I’m not expecting realism from a mobile arcade tank shoot-em up game.  I don’t understand why people get so bothered by it, it’s a game, it’s not real, it’s not meant to be a WWII tank simulator...

I’m interested in the history and find stuff like you posted above interesting though.

“saw service”. Hmm that reduces the number of tanks even further.

i am amazed sometimes how horribly flawed designs saw service just because they were lying close by and there was that emergency. Also sometimes there were amazing machines built and refused, either due to incompetency or corruption, or sometimes just a bad timing or series of events, politics, and cast aside.
in modern history just the Brit armament industry shows too many exemples For me to mention.

for those reasons I don’t consider service as some kind of validation, but as you said, definition and opinions are personal.

Read my guides there

minitelrose #6 Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:35 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 72118 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostChairman_merpug, on 09 October 2019 - 02:35 AM, said:

All I know is that there isn't one at Saumur, though there are some amazing French tanks there. Still gutted that my battery failed and I got no pix of the ARL, AMX 13, Leclerc, AMX50 or Panhard EBR. As an aside, I'd love to see you driving a veeled wehicle, mini...

indeed I have got wild ‘icules, but what do you mean, driving ?

Read my guides there

llo1 #7 Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:39 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 28343 battles
  • [1RTR]
Nice research Minitelrose....at least someone had some proper intentions of actually proposing this variant, with all the drawings etc. Which in my opinion (pathetic I know) makes it more of a valid tank than some of those we do see in the game which must have been the figment of some 8yr old's imagination!

The_Mighty_Wombat #8 Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:54 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37522 battles
  • [-GNA-]

Its a blue-print tank like many in the game. 

The plans are from the correct time period and it could of been built.

Fantasy tanks are more “modern ideas” either based on real tanks, blue print ideas or pure imagination.

Drac is based on CDC but was imagined recently by WG staff.

O-47 and VC tanks are another based on modern day imagination and fantasy.

These tanks usually push the boundaries of possible tank design.

Tanks like the Kuro and Anko are realistic tanks but from a fantasy scenario.

The tank iself is realistic yet the camo and crew voice are fantasy. These are no different from putting crazy camo on a real tank or having an incorrect crew voice. 

Chairman_merpug #9 Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:30 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 45805 battles
  • [AFK]

View Postminitelrose, on 09 October 2019 - 06:35 AM, said:

indeed I have got wild ‘icules, but what do you mean, driving ?

The EBR and its friends are in WOT. Claus Kellerman has a couple of videos taking them from spawn straight to the red arty and taking them out. Seems like a very mini thing. 

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug

minitelrose #10 Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 72118 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostChairman_merpug, on 09 October 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

The EBR and its friends are in WOT. Claus Kellerman has a couple of videos taking them from spawn straight to the red arty and taking them out. Seems like a very mini thing. 

oh I watched those videos.

Klaus is somehow [one of the] the most watchworthy wotuber at this point, even though after 2 videos I need a full month (or more)  of breathing fresh air. Indeed it seems that the wheels tanks in wot did what luch and its relative did to blitz a few years back. Only we didn’t take the full potential. 

i drove with the_lone_hunterz tonight, and he seemed angry at me at the start of every game, for driving straight into the red spawn. I think we won many games, though. If I cared I would have looked how many. The secret is in the engine boost, and also staring at your enemies in the blank of the eye. It intimidates them.

Read my guides there

Mjr_Eazy #11 Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27895 battles
  • [BT_SV]

Lol, Mini, your amx 13 57 yolo-tastic tactics terrify your team mates as much as the opposition, I know, I’ve the pleasure of seeing them for real with you on allies and enemy teams ;) You can literally hear all 13 of the players shout “WTF just happened?!?!?” at the same time...

I was expecting it but it still made me go WTF and then chase you :)

Edited by Mjr_Eazy, 10 October 2019 - 05:46 PM.

547146227.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users