• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

BaronVeyer #1 Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:58 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11169 battles
  • [UKTD]

I can't make the E-100 work.

I just can't. Maybe it's me being mediocrity incarnate at WoT Blitz (most likely), maybe I'm facing pr0s all the time (less likely), maybe my team goes full potato mode more often than not (factual)... 

Whatever the reason - I suck in the E-100.

Painfully slow, keeps getting spotted from across the map, with an armour profile that invites premium rounds like no other. I was hoping for a rather smooth transition from the E-75, which was one of my favourite tanks thus far, but I never expected this.

Any tips to help me improve? Yes, I do remember to angle my turret when not aiming etc.

Edited by BaronVeyer, 18 November 2019 - 12:58 AM.

Black_Wolf_Ja #2 Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:54 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10673 battles
  • [XMEN_]

Don't worry bro, i'm here.

Alright so, being spotted and being slow is a common thing above superheavies, however the E-100 is an exception, this beast is exceptionally mobile for a superheavy, also my favorite tank ever, but that's another story.

It is true however that most people will just fire gold at you BUT

Let me explain: you have to play the tank a bit differently from the E-75, in the E-75 you got used to the fact that simply angling the hull well, you would become pretty much umpenetrable, this because the lowerplate is very well angled, some of the lower tiers can't even pen it when not angled, go figure. The E-100 is a bit different, you do have 150mm in the lower plate, but in this tier most of the tanks have 250+ pen. The lowerplate when unangled gets an effectiveness of let's say up to 230 to 240, depends on where the enemy is looking you from, and also depends from the enemy gun depression and height. This said, most of the mediums can't pen you frontally with standard ammo, german med guns may be an exception though, but once you master the angling you will see that no med can pen you frontally unless you get very unlucky. Even though you angle the hull, heavies have a lot of pen in the tier, 250+ excluding the maus which is the heavy tank that has the most trouble against an E-100 if using AP, the lower plate in fact needs to stay hidden, and if you have no cover just look at where the enemy is aiming at: lower plate? you can overangle it but doing so you expose the road wheel armor, be sure to do so when the enemy is about to fire. Don't count on bouncing premium ammo or even tds standard ammo off the lower plate, unless you have an extreme angle where only the frontal armor is shown. You can still play some hulldown if you know how to angle your turret and you MUST sidescrape always! 

Now the turret: unlike the E-75 you have 2mm less of armor in the turret (252mm intensifies), but it's a bit more angled, your turret gets an effectiveness of about 280-290 mm frontally always depending from where the enemy is firing. However, what you want to get as fast as possible is the equipment that increases your armor, bringing it from 250 up to 260. Don't dream too much however, all the tds (except the Grille having slight less chances) can pen your turret frontally if you are not angling it, if they load gold then as total noobs there is no chance you bounce a 350mm+ pen shell unless it goes into the gun mantlet, however you can occasionally bounce the APCR premium shells of some tanks like the IS-7, fv 215b, maus if you angle the turret correctly. Remember that angling the turret is not a thing that you have to do always, just use buildings and bait shots, if there is no cover for your turret, then you must angle it, as it's so large people will just fire gold there.

If you are angling well the turret, even the medium/light tanks have close to no chance of penning, as their premium ammo pen usually stays around 290-300, so unless they use calibrated shells they have a very hard time going through your front. And remember that HEAT shells are very hard to bounce, and if an enemy is firing at you from distance and has APCR as premium ammo you do not have to worry at all. Be careful to not show your turret sides and your butt to the deathstars, that's one of the easiest pen for them HESH. 

This tank is very special for me, as it requires a lot of skill to be played but can be rewarding, for a fact i use calibrated shells to have 94mm of HE pen, let's show those murica noobs the price to pay for not having side armor. (oh yeah you can overmatch murica tanks side armor thanks to your gigantic 150mm calibre gun), this said, it takes a while to master, unlike noobproof heavies tanks like that have no frontal weakspot aside the lowerplate, that's why you are having a hard time with the tank.

The tank performed very badly when i first bought it too, due to having the 128mm and 75% crew, don't know when you bought it, just know that if you have the 128mm the enemies will not be afraid of you, i saw people rushing and taking more than my shot just to fire at me (when it was stock)

I have a couple of replays here if you are interested, they show more or less the strenght and weakness of the tank, sure not everyone was firing gold at me or had a chance to fire at me at all, but hope it helps.

https://replays.wotinspector.com/en/view/4bb82ea0d4156b46750323e72c1802df

https://replays.wotinspector.com/en/view/fb382eceea9c3524969e05163cc62e01

Edited by Black_Wolf_Ja, 27 May 2020 - 04:23 AM.

E-100 is love, E-100 is life          It's me.

I_C4NT_W1N_ #3 Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 49601 battles
  • [8ASIL]
Thanks for this as the E100 is on my BF list I have already free xp so just waiting for the sales :bajan:

BaronVeyer #4 Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:27 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11169 battles
  • [UKTD]

Thanks for the tips, mate! I'm still learning (obviously - 51% WR...).

I think my biggest gripe with the tanks is:

A). Mobility (or the lack thereof). You say the E-100 is fairly nimble for a super heavy. Well - compared to the Maus and ONLY the Maus that might be the case. As soon as the match starts I'm racing (yeah...) to get to a favourable position and 9 times out of ten, that IS 7 is already there, waiting for me, hull down...

If my entire team goes hurr-durr and decides to suddenly shift the angle - I'm dead - already committed to a lane with no way of making it out of there alive. 

B). Armour. I sidescrape whenever I get a chance - that's when things are going fine. Anything other than sidescraping and I feel like an HP piniata. I just can't brawl effectively in the E-100 and I don't think my lower plate is at fault here - it's the turret - the cheeks specifically. Thus far I only played German lines (looking to branch out into USA, or RUS) which tend to have good PEN overall, the thing is - I'm not afraid of a red E-100 when I see one. Why? Aim at the cheeks - If I can't pen with standard rounds, gold rounds go through 90% of the time, even at medium range. 

My Crew is at 85% (yeah, I know), but I'm using the 15 cm boomstick with all equipment slots filled. 

Come on Sempai, I need more.

Black_Wolf_Ja #5 Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:15 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10673 battles
  • [XMEN_]

View PostBaronVeyer, on 18 November 2019 - 04:27 PM, said:

Thanks for the tips, mate! I'm still learning (obviously - 51% WR...).

I think my biggest gripe with the tanks is:

A). Mobility (or the lack thereof). You say the E-100 is fairly nimble for a super heavy. Well - compared to the Maus and ONLY the Maus that might be the case. As soon as the match starts I'm racing (yeah...) to get to a favourable position and 9 times out of ten, that IS 7 is already there, waiting for me, hull down...

If my entire team goes hurr-durr and decides to suddenly shift the angle - I'm dead - already committed to a lane with no way of making it out of there alive. 

B). Armour. I sidescrape whenever I get a chance - that's when things are going fine. Anything other than sidescraping and I feel like an HP piniata. I just can't brawl effectively in the E-100 and I don't think my lower plate is at fault here - it's the turret - the cheeks specifically. Thus far I only played German lines (looking to branch out into USA, or RUS) which tend to have good PEN overall, the thing is - I'm not afraid of a red E-100 when I see one. Why? Aim at the cheeks - If I can't pen with standard rounds, gold rounds go through 90% of the time, even at medium range. 

My Crew is at 85% (yeah, I know), but I'm using the 15 cm boomstick with all equipment slots filled. 

Come on Sempai, I need more.

A)Yeah when i say that is exceptionally mobile i mean based on its weight and size, it's a big tank, and it goes at 30 km/h when on flat terrain, however you know it too that stalin tanks do have a very good mobility, almost mediumish.

Well ofc if your entire team goes to one side you can't go alone to a flank, you will be rushed as soon as the enemies notice you have no friends with you, but most of the times, even a friendly heavy is enough to hold a flank well, if you have the cover of a td you need to stay where he can fire at the enemies, but most of the times i just died hoping that my td would help...... 

However you do have the option to relocate or to retreat from a flank, if you have some covers and if you don't have 7 reds in front of you ofc, the job of covering your retreat should be done by tds and meds by long range sniping, but heh it's pretty rare.

B) in the E-100 you can brawl, but you need to play it carefully, the trick is trading shots, you can trade a 390 dmg premium shell for a 640 dmg ap shell, you aim for weakspots, as you have VERY good pen for a heavy tank, then they will regret staying in front of you, again you need to work with your team, as you can't do much alone because you have a long reload, and the enemy knows it, i had multiple chances where after damaging an fv 215b he just yoloed me because of his dpm, kept spamming gold. Getting out alive from a fight like that is pretty hard, but if the guy is not an unicum that knows what to do against you, you might win the fight.

Unfortunately crew has a big impact on your tank performance, you move slower, you reload slower, you aim for longer, so grind that crew out as fast as possible and things will get better for sure.

Here i got another replay, just played this battle, as you can see the enemy T95E6 had RNGesus by his side, and the T-54 penned my turret side when i was behind the container because:

1) T-54 has insane HEAT pen

2) i didn't angle my turret at best and he penned the side, if i had my turret angled a bit more to the right he would've bounced.

https://replays.wotinspector.com/en/view/363d02c70016700ec30f6e28f79558b8

EDIT: 6.5 is about to come, the replay won't be avaliable to watch anymore in some hours.

EDIT2: i advice you to watch this replay here : https://replays.wotinspector.com/en/view/5d453b28a82598c5472bd10e214b2f65 it's not the best battle by me, in fact we lost, i did a lot of mistakes and took the wrong position, but it perfectly shows how to angle the tank and such.

If you need any other advice, i'm always here bro. :)

Edited by Black_Wolf_Ja, 27 May 2020 - 04:27 AM.

BaronVeyer #6 Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:30 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11169 battles
  • [UKTD]

View PostBlack_Wolf_Ja, on 19 November 2019 - 12:15 AM, said:

A)Yeah when i say that is exceptionally mobile i mean based on its weight and size, it's a big tank, and it goes at 30 km/h when on flat terrain, however you know it too that stalin tanks do have a very good mobility, almost mediumish.

Well ofc if your entire team goes to one side you can't go alone to a flank, you will be rushed as soon as the enemies notice you have no friends with you, but most of the times, even a friendly heavy is enough to hold a flank well, if you have the cover of a td you need to stay where he can fire at the enemies, but most of the times i just died hoping that my td would help...... 

However you do have the option to relocate or to retreat from a flank, if you have some covers and if you don't have 7 reds in front of you ofc, the job of covering your retreat should be done by tds and meds by long range sniping, but heh it's pretty rare.

B) in the E-100 you can brawl, but you need to play it carefully, the trick is trading shots, you can trade a 390 dmg premium shell for a 640 dmg ap shell, then they will regret staying in front of you, again you need to work with your team, as you can't do much alone because you have a long reload, and the enemy knows it, i had multiple chances where after damaging an fv 215b he just yoloed me because of his dpm, kept spamming gold. Getting out alive from a fight like that is pretty hard, but if the guy is not an unicum that knows what to do against you, you might win the fight.

Unfortunately crew has a big impact on your tank performance, you move slower, you reload slower, you aim for longer, so grind that crew out as fast as possible and things will get better for sure.

Here i got another replay, just played this battle, as you can see the enemy T95E6 had RNGesus by his side, and the T-54 penned my turret side when i was behind the container because:

1) T-54 has insane HEAT pen

2) i didn't angle my turret at best and he penned the side, if i had my turret angled a bit more to the right he would've bounced.

https://replays.wotinspector.com/en/view/363d02c70016700ec30f6e28f79558b8

EDIT: 6.5 is about to come, the replay won't be avaliable to watch anymore in some hours.

EDIT2: i advice you to watch this replay here : https://replays.wotinspector.com/en/view/5d453b28a82598c5472bd10e214b2f65 it's not the best battle by me, in fact we lost, i did a lot of mistakes and took the wrong position, but it perfectly shows how to angle the tank and such.

If you need any other advice, i'm always here bro. :)

I watched the replays - thanks for those. :)

I've been making some modest progress in the E-100 as of late, but I still suck to high heavens in it... I feel being in a good match-up, with a decent team as well, is mandatory for me to do ok-ish. 

I know the principles of angling etc. but I still get penned A TON, and due to crap mobility, I feel like a liability to the team instead of an asset. Sure, in places such as the "heavy alley" on Himmelsdork I can do great, but as soon as I leave my sidescraping spot, I start bleeding HP rapidly. 

Edited by BaronVeyer, 25 November 2019 - 02:32 PM.

Black_Wolf_Ja #7 Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:08 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10673 battles
  • [XMEN_]

Unfortunately you have to get used to get penned, E-100 is one of the hardest tanks to bounce shots in, as anyway every noob that can't aim for weakspots will just load gold and fire at your turret.

You have to get used to the fact that in some maps your team won't go to the side that favors the heavies, for example oasis palms, if you have to take the desert, don't go to the dunes, you go in a place where there is at least some cover (say the canyon next to the redline of the map, where usually most meds go, you might find some armored td supporting their meds or even a fast heavy like autoloaders or russian heavy, but most of the times i caught their meds off guard, they weren't expecting an E-100 coming around the corner) Remember to not stay in a open space as you obviously have bad camo, before moving be sure to always be unspotted and that there is no med/light camping in a bush that could spot you.)

If you know their tds position you can easily push a flank, your team will come with you because they know you will absorb all the shots for them, you can do this even if an enemy is under cover of a certain type of td, for example a 183, it has bad accuracy and you have good armor, if you don't expose the lower plate you can push and try to absorb the shell, even easier with tds that have smaller calibres (122/128mm) as they are less likely to pen you anyway and to deal too much damage if they pen.

Your biggest problem aside tds are enemy meds/lights that can flank you, if you are alone you are pretty much doomed, and unlike the Maus, you can't stay exposed for too long as the enemy will obviously try and pen those shots as most as possible.

Edited by Black_Wolf_Ja, 27 May 2020 - 04:20 AM.

I_C4NT_W1N_ #8 Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:30 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 49601 battles
  • [8ASIL]
I watched you play in Birdmaster vid and boy you done good in that game a real testimony to calmness and skill

BaronVeyer #9 Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:28 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11169 battles
  • [UKTD]

View PostBlack_Wolf_Ja, on 26 November 2019 - 08:08 AM, said:

Unfortunately you have to get used to get penned, E-100 is one of the hardest tanks to bounce shots in, as anyway every noob that can't aim for weakspots will just load gold and fire at your turret.

You have to get used to the fact that in some maps your team won't go to the side that favors the heavies, for example desert sands, if you have to take the desert, don't go to the dunes, you go in a place where there is at least some cover (say the canyon on the redline of the map, where usually most meds go, you might find some armored td supporting their meds or even a fast heavy like autoloaders or russian heavy, but most of the times i caught their meds off guard, they weren't expecting an E-100 coming around the corner) Remember to not stay in a open space as you obviously have bad camo, before moving be sure to always be unspotted and that there is no med/light camping in a bush that could spot you.)

If you know their tds position you can easily push a flank, your team will come with you because they know you will absorb all the shots for them, you can do this even if an enemy is under cover of a certain type of td, for example a 183, it has bad accuracy and you have good armor, if you don't expose the lower plate you can push and try to absorb his shell, you can also try with tds that have smaller calibres (122/128mm) as they are less likely to pen you anyway and to deal too much damage if they pen.

Your biggest problem aside tds are enemy meds/lights that can flank you, if you are alone you are pretty much doomed, and unlike the Maus, you can stay exposed for too long as the enemy will obviously try and pen those shots as most as possible.

I do struggle with positioning, that's true. Usually I put the pedal to the metal as soon as the match starts to get into position ASAP, but I hesitate to even try and rotate later on, because A) - it takes forever, B) - if I'm caught alone by a semi-competent Med, I'm dead. I also feel like I should be having a huge impact on the match, being a top tier Heavy, and lurking around at 15 kmph seems like a horrible waste of time. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users