Ghost shots

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Mjr_Eazy #1 Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:33 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34597 battles
  • [BT_SV]

We've had lots of people complaining about Ghost Shots, WG said on discord there was a bug, they fixed it...

RibbleStripe26/12/2019

It's not a ghost shell. There's an issue with visual effect which might occur when a shell hits the target. So, you actually hit the enemy, but there's no visual notification (only the sound one). You can check your stats after the battle and such shots won't count as missed ones. We're working on resolving that, sorry for the inconvenience.

the issue with such shots was fixed. If anyone still experiences something like that, please send me a replay.

If anyone is having ghost shots then don't cry here, tell @RibbleStripe on Discord and who knows it may be another bug or it may just be rigged ;)

Edited by Mjr_Eazy, 13 January 2020 - 11:25 PM.

547146227.png

Rqh #2 Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:14 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 15743 battles
  • [SMOL]
got banned permanently in discord. yelp

llo1 #3 Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:15 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 31593 battles
  • [1RTR]
Sorry, this post is unreadable and it is jumping continuously!

Strummer54 #4 Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:26 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 59554 battles
  • [DAD5]
That is the lamest excuse I’ve ever had the mis pleasure to see, what about the ones that just disappear without registering as a hit with damage...I think these are the “ghost shots”most people complain about. This topic is strongly linked to rng, which is in itself a very controversial subject notwithstanding even talking about it can lead to a perma ban on this forum!!!

RibbleStripe #5 Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:13 PM

Sergeant

• Administrator
  • 2113 battles
  • [WG]

To be honest i have recieved so many replays already so we need to clarify smth. 

1. Players call ghost shells/shots cases when they see their shell hitting the enemy and going through him. No visual or audio feedback. Client doesn't register such shot as an accurate one - it's a miss. 

2. But in update 6.6 you might experience cases when you make a shot, hear sound notification (bounced off, for example) but don't see visual notification. But client registered such shots properly as hits. So basically the problem was only in visual feedback. However players started to call such situations ghost shells as well. 

We have fixed problem number 2. Unfortunately number 1 still might happen in battles but we do everything to minimize it. 

So guys, please don't send me replays anymore. Of course unless i ask about it. Thanks ;)

Strummer54 #6 Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 59554 battles
  • [DAD5]
Just to be clear, my understanding of a ghost shot is one that definitely hits, but either goes through and hits the dirt behind the tank without the customary “that one went right through”...or clearly hit but the game after a# thoug( nothing happens. This isn’t a bug, it can happen up to 5 times on the trot into the rear of paper tanks, it’s been around for years, as far as I’m concerned it’s just another string in Wargamings attempts to equalise win rates...pointless complaining about it, they aren’t going to fix somtimes that isn’t broke and is working as intended. Lol.

minitelrose #7 Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 82017 battles
  • [AFK]

Is it only me or that page is completely broken and makes safari on my iPad Pro flicker like crazy ?

i am currently typing while lllking away from the screen it’s that painful.

Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

I want just that, and replay files.

minitelrose #8 Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:47 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 82017 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostRibbleStripe, on 13 January 2020 - 08:13 PM, said:

To be honest i have recieved so many replays already so we need to clarify smth. 

1. Players call ghost shells/shots cases when they see their shell hitting the enemy and going through him. No visual or audio feedback. Client doesn't register such shot as an accurate one - it's a miss. 

2. But in update 6.6 you might experience cases when you make a shot, hear sound notification (bounced off, for example) but don't see visual notification. But client registered such shots properly as hits. So basically the problem was only in visual feedback. However players started to call such situations ghost shells as well. 

We have fixed problem number 2. Unfortunately number 1 still might happen in battles but we do everything to minimize it. 

So guys, please don't send me replays anymore. Of course unless i ask about it. Thanks ;)

you forgot number 3. 
number 3 is when your shot originated in a position you occupied .5s ago, and therefore the shot can’t hit where your gun is pointing at if the target is close enough.

happened to me at least twice in a month, and that’s 6.6

I join the replay capture form the  client and map inspector becuase the client shows what the client sent to the server, and map inspector shows the server reply, so we can compare for lag. It’s not lag. It’s the shot leaving outside of the gun barrel. 
That or it only happens when I shoot russian derp tank #russianderpbias

exemple #1

example1 is great:

In the client you can see the animation for the gun shooting on one hand (it’s special effect only, the shell in fact originates from the base of the gun), and at the same time the impact into the target’s gun mantlet, in an impossible time/space travel.

In map inspector you can see the actual trajectory, the shot is parallel to what is expected, but its origin is completely off.

exemple #2

Example 2 is just more of the same. 

Edited by minitelrose, 14 January 2020 - 08:12 AM.

Mjr_Eazy #9 Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34597 battles
  • [BT_SV]

It looked fine on my iPhone but as a couple of people complained about format pasted from Discord, I repasted as plain text, hopefully it’s ok now...

@strummer is your thing not the same as @RibbleStripes #1?

547146227.png

llo1 #10 Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:47 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 31593 battles
  • [1RTR]

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 13 January 2020 - 11:27 PM, said:

It looked fine on my iPhone but as a couple of people complained about format pasted from Discord, I repasted as plain text, hopefully it’s ok now...

As Mjr_Eazy pointed out, and Strummer says, the version #1 Quoted by Ribblestripe is an absolute pain....and one I have ALWAYS associated with lag. This is NOT visible on the replays, as the replay only shows what the server “sees” NOT what actually happens in either reality or somewhere between.

WG have always said in response to tickets.....it is my machine/system and nothing to do with them. But if it is my machine then why has it not been consistently present? Additionally I have a brand new machine, new ISP, and the problem has not gone away, only got worse, and can be totally unplayable around update, and competition periods....weekends and school holidays are also included in that worsened situation.

The only possible explanation IMO is that the WG servers are not up to scratch and get overloaded at certain times, causing this problem. 
Now whether it is simply the servers themselves actually slowing down, or being physically limited to certain areas by WG staff...............possibly to ensure that the servers do not completely break down.........

Edited by llo1, 14 January 2020 - 07:49 AM.

minitelrose #11 Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:04 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 82017 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 14 January 2020 - 12:27 AM, said:

thanks so much. I won’t have to consult for epilepsy 

Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

minitelrose #12 Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:07 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 82017 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostStrummer54, on 13 January 2020 - 09:16 PM, said:

Just to be clear, my understanding of a ghost shot is one that definitely hits, but either goes through and hits the dirt behind the tank without the customary “that one went right through”...or clearly hit but the game after a# thoug( nothing happens. This isn’t a bug, it can happen up to 5 times on the trot into the rear of paper tanks, it’s been around for years, as far as I’m concerned it’s just another string in Wargamings attempts to equalise win rates...pointless complaining about it, they aren’t going to fix somtimes that isn’t broke and is working as intended. Lol.

these are not ghost shots.

Usually that’s a perspective aberration and the shot flies right between the tracks and it can hit far behind the target. In your view, especially from 3rd person view it looks like it went through target, especially in the heat of action.  if you can change the angle of the view however, and pause the action, you will see it doesn’t go through, it goes underneath (and sometimes between the turret bulge and the engine deck/main hull).

Sometimes it’s just lag.

in any it seems that rubble lists it as #1 and I don’t see how they can do anything, it’s a simple perspective/parallax effect.

Edited by minitelrose, 14 January 2020 - 08:14 AM.

Read my guides there

Strummer54 #13 Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 59554 battles
  • [DAD5]
Three concescutive shots into t32, all non pens...yet pretty good sidescapping angle against red lowe, he pens no problem when I couldn’t pen him even at a softer angle...just a few games apart. When rng is against you you lose, that all there is to it, and guess who controls rng? No banana for the last question ;)

Attached Files

• Attached File   C6B37F66-F907-4877-953F-8C33D17369D9.jpeg   179.07K
  • Attached File   EE10A423-90BE-43D5-BB0A-DFE75D7BD82A.jpeg   225.2K
  • Attached File   32EE8916-2ECE-48CE-8789-66048393DA1D.jpeg   233.58K
  • Attached File   108F5994-01BD-4C05-ACAF-42526965BCF0.jpeg   253.79K
  • Attached File   E076C681-B80A-4AC2-AD1C-ABA2B77562AE.jpeg   250.87K

Corpsetaker #14 Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 21504 battles
  • [INTBF]
Ghost Shots exists so stop trying to play it up like they don't. WG need to upgrade their servers and stop using cheap and out of date tech. As much money as they have this shouldn't be an issue. 

minitelrose #15 Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 82017 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostStrummer54, on 14 January 2020 - 08:20 PM, said:

Three concescutive shots into t32, all non pens...yet pretty good sidescapping angle against red lowe, he pens no problem when I couldn’t pen him even at a softer angle...just a few games apart. When rng is against you you lose, that all there is to it, and guess who controls rng? No banana for the last question ;)

If you want anything investigated, post replays and not thumbnails.

there is no way to know what happened otherwise.

Also those aren’t ghost shots. They are ricochets. 

Read my guides there

minitelrose #16 Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 82017 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostCorpsetaker, on 14 January 2020 - 09:38 PM, said:

Ghost Shots exists so stop trying to play it up like they don't. WG need to upgrade their servers and stop using cheap and out of date tech. As much money as they have this shouldn't be an issue. 

I watched thousands and thousands of individual shots. Maybe even thousands of replays.

I can remember only 2 occurrences where there might have been a ghost shot.

everything else was some lag or parallax.

Read my guides there

Xenodium #17 Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:00 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 75150 battles
  • [W0R53]

View PostStrummer54, on 14 January 2020 - 08:20 PM, said:

You are hitting the top of the hull at an acute angle; this is the problem with shooting in 3rd person perspective.

Strummer54 #18 Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:31 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 59554 battles
  • [DAD5]
That's sort of my point, the angle is acute, but it is possible obviously to hit the top of the deck, but the accumulative odds of that happening 3 times on the trot when it's such a small area of the reticule start to mount up. Combined with getting penned at acute sidscrapping angles it tells another story. RNG is a bit like that dice you rolled during the event, you don't know what it's going to end on but, what you can stake your bottom dollar on, is it'll even out, so if you've had a run of high numbers, you'll get a corresponding run of low numbers. I normally aim over 95% of my shots in sniper mode...makes no difference at all.

Strummer54 #19 Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:31 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 59554 battles
  • [DAD5]
That's sort of my point, the angle is acute, but it is possible obviously to hit the top of the deck, but the accumulative odds of that happening 3 times on the trot when it's such a small area of the reticule start to mount up. Combined with getting penned at acute sidscrapping angles it tells another story. RNG is a bit like that dice you rolled during the event, you don't know what it's going to end on but, what you can stake your bottom dollar on, is it'll even out, so if you've had a run of high numbers, you'll get a corresponding run of low numbers. I normally aim over 95% of my shots in sniper mode...makes no difference at all.

minitelrose #20 Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 82017 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostStrummer54, on 15 January 2020 - 10:31 AM, said:

A
That's sort of my point, the angle is acute, but it is possible obviously to hit the top of the deck, but the accumulative odds of that happening 3 times on the trot when it's such a small area of the reticule start to mount up.

B
Combined with getting penned at acute sidscrapping angles it tells another story. RNG is a bit like that dice you rolled during the event, you don't know what it's going to end on but, what you can stake your bottom dollar on, is it'll even out, so if you've had a run of high numbers, you'll get a corresponding run of low numbers. I normally aim over 95% of my shots in sniper mode...makes no difference at all.

A
when you are too close to enemy the chances are extremely high.

your gun is at the height of its engine deck, if you shoot up you miss the tank, if You depress you lack the height to get the correct angle.  In some specific situation (tank+ Target + ground  height + angle) you can shoot 10 times in a row and always get that.

it’s simple geometry.

B

there is basically no more rng.

if you really want to know the odds. Send a replay to wotinspector and export the shots to armor inspector. You will see how it goes.

believe me when I say I watched thousands of shots. I miss and bounce a lot, and I spent a lot of time double checking things, and I found nothing wrong with the game mechanics.

if you want to check for yourself, we now have the tools.

Edited by minitelrose, 15 January 2020 - 11:02 AM.

Read my guides there

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users