Mines Map Strategy | WoT Blitz [Updated on 21st January 2021]

Map Strategies Discussion Mines

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Mines Map (20 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Do you like MINES ?

1. Yes I like mines (10 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No I don't like mines (7 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

3. I have never played on this map (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. I have no strong feeling for this map (3 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

What is the best strategy ?

1. Occupy the hill (16 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. Capture the base (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Occupy the lighthouse island (1 vote [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. Stay in a sniping spot (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

5. Occupy the town (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Flank through lighthouse (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Flank through town (1 vote [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

Vote Hide poll

Muhammad_Zaib #1 Posted 15 June 2020 - 04:32 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 1838 battles
  • [-STS-]

Introduction :

Mines is a summer map. It is available for every tier. The map is small. You can go to every bit of the map in just a minute unlike other maps in WoTBlitz. There is a town in the South East of the map and the base is in the town. There is an tied island (an island connected with the mainland) in the West of map connected with the mainland with a tombolo (a narrow piece of land). There is a lighthouse on the island so it is called Lighthouse Island by many players. Players spawn in the north and south. There is a mine (often called hill by many players) in the centre of the map and it is the main point of battle.

Mines trains you in skills and strategies that can be used everywhere else. It trains in using the trees to your advantage by predicting movement and location and giving cover like the bushes. It trains to do side scrapping when pushing to the hill to block damage. It trains in how to use to go hull down at the entrance of the hill. It trains you in usage of front armour and gun depression. It trains to aim at the weak spots of enemies. You learn the Peek a Boom strategy which is really helpful. You have to work as a team to win.

Overview:

This map is a small map and most of the fighting occurs near the cap circle or entry point onto the mine (commonly referred to as the “hill”. There are only 3 main avenues of attack on Mines being the lighthouse, the hill, and the town.

What is the best strategy to win in Mines ?

Capturing the base ?

Getting the Lighthouse Island ?

Controlling the mine/hill ?

Staying in a sniping spot ?

Or occupying the town ?

I am uploading a map of Mines so that you can make tactics and strategies easily (No smaller size found for image :()

Mines Map

If your team has more light and medium tanks try to get the mine/hill area. If your team has more Tank Destroyers (TDs) try to find a good sniping spot. If you spawn at south point (lower part of the minimap) go left and ram some trees for better cover and hide behind them. If you spawn in the north point go left to the small hill. Getting the Lighthouse Island is pointless. Flanking through it is a good strategy but only if there is no enemy there and the rest enemies have been spotted. Capture the base if you have heavily armoured tanks (at least 3).

The light tanks can become scouts and spy enemies and return without a receiving a shot. Mediums can support by hiding and attacking while heavy tanks soak up damage and TDs must be second line supporters attacking the enemies from behind using cover.

When pushing to the hill, watch out for falling trees. If you see trees falling then it means the enemy is also there. And also be careful not to knock down trees. Otherwise the enemy will be able to predict your movement and location and try to stop you. If you reach there a bit behind the schedule and a battle for getting to the hill is in process then either fight or don't mind the allies and enemies and get inside the hill. This way your team may also do the same if it is a good team. Once inside, guarding the entrance is much easier. But if your team does not follow you but the enemy does then either fight or run or simply jump from the hill to escape.

When you go for the base make use of the buildings and take cover behind them. Reload, and then fire. Get back and repeat. In case the enemy has the hill it will be hard to cap base so try to send only heavies to base so that when the enemy is distracted some of your allies go to the hill and attack. I call this Distract and Destroy strategy and this works great. You can call it the same or by some other name like Sneak Attack!

As the battle begins, medium tanks can make a rapid push to take control of the central hill which is of major strategic value as it overlooks all sections of the mainland. Following the medium tanks, heavies should provide close quarters support for their mediums to ensure that the hill remains in their control. Small groups of tanks (usually light or bottom tiered tanks) can also take the base located in the town while the enemy’s are held down on the hill by their teammates. The spawns, positioned at opposite ends of the central hill, also features elevated ground which tank destroyers can make good use of. TD's in these positions can cover the flanking route around the central hill while the heavies are engaging enemies from the front. Alternatively, fast and lightly-armored TD's can advance towards the lighthouse island. It provides some firing lines at enemies on the hill and a flanking route to the elevated positions near the spawns. In most cases, the team that secures the central hill will be the victors of the battle.

Lighthouse

Attacking from the lighthouse side of Mines, takes a more mobile heavy tank that should have decent frontal armor on at least just its turret. (My personal recommendation: American Heavies are perfect for this type of attack). Very few players seem to go here, so you will meet little resistance taking the lighthouse, but on occasion there are enemy tank destroyers that like to take the lighthouse and snipe from there, so if the enemy team have 3+TDs be sure to take an ally with you for assistance. One thing to keep in mind, is as you are moving through the lighthouse island, you are vulnerable from attack from the hill and the enemy base (if you are spotted). This island provides multiple areas of cover, such as rocks and bushes to snipe from. From this area , you may be able to snipe the enemy climbing up the hill and also the AFK enemies in base camp (if you have the view range to spot them or allies that spot them). You can flank if the fight for controlling the hill is in progress(Be wary of the enemy TDs that might be sniping from spawn)

Hill

Attacking the hill at the start of the match can either end in a quick defeat or an early head start to victory. I highly recommend ALL medium tanks on both teams to immediately try to take the hill. (They should hopefully later receive help from the slower heavies, so the enemy won’t trap our friendly lights, and mediums and destroy them and as a result also take the hill.) Most fast tanks can make it up the hill without taking damage, unless the enemy team also has quick tanks that can make it to the hill around the same time as you (which would spot you and allow enemy tanks that haven't gotten to the hill yet to take a couple of pot shots at you) SO DO NOT STOP EVER!!!! (even to take some shots and spotted enemies). If the enemy lights and mediums follow you onto the hill, good luck and play smart as it will in most cases be a dogfight. Slower tanks should still secure the hill, no matter what the outcome is on the hill since following up behind and setting up at the entrance locations will stop any additional enemies. Having good gun depression (such as on the Americans and British Heavies) and good turret armor is perfect for dominating the map from the hill. If you gain the hill, you want to spot the enemy tanks and take smart shots off the hill. If the enemy pushes you can easily flank them and if they defend you can slowly chip away.  On the other hand, if your team loses the hill retreat, and go to the foot of the hill to force the enemy to push into a well defended area.  Continuing to fight for the hill if your team has suffered losses to begin with just ends up making things worse.

Town

While you are not at a disadvantage in the town when compared to the enemy you do run into issues since both usually has snipers that can damage you in town.  Setting up behind town buildings will give your team a formidable defense against any advancing enemies.  If you decide to push, then you either can go to foot of the hill (vulnerable to shots from snipers) or swing around the outside of the map (vulnerable to hill shots) to attack through the town area.  

The Edited Mines Map :

Edited Mines Map

In this picture, the blue-dotted line is the flank-route for both teams. 

Blue highlighted area is hill. Target signs indicate where each team should focus on, if the other team controls the hill. The area inside the white-dot line indicates hull-down area. The warning signs of course, warn both teams, about danger places. The two 'islands' can be used as sniping locations, they can easily be used to save hill entrance.

The victory depends on your team. Unity in the team and strategy planning is the best way to win in this map as in the other maps. This map isn't just 'control the hill' map, there must be tanks on all routes/flanks, to prevent defeat.

Edited by Muhammad_Zaib, 21 January 2021 - 05:33 AM.

If you think I am your friend now, you're wrong ... I am still your enemy.

Muhammad_Zaib #2 Posted 15 June 2020 - 04:36 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 1838 battles
  • [-STS-]

Update of thread comment :

I updated the thread. You can read again now. (Section updated on 30 July 2020)

Now added the part which tells what does Mines map train you. (Section updated on 05 August 2020)

Uploaded a bigger picture (Sorry, no smaller size for image found :() (Section updated on 6 August 2020)

Made plenty of improvements. New sections, new mini-map, and the fact that hill is not the control center! (Section updated on 21st January 2021)

Edited by Muhammad_Zaib, 21 January 2021 - 05:35 AM.

romsitsa #3 Posted 15 June 2020 - 07:22 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 52653 battles
  • [VG]

Mine and ridge fight. One of the most boring maps.

A

Mjr_Eazy #4 Posted 15 June 2020 - 08:01 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 36885 battles
  • [BT_SV]

No discussion - controlling the mine/hill.

Good luck with not getting any negative comments, I appreciate the sentiment but m8 this is one of the worst maps in the game and such a simple strategy for it.  If anyone says lighthouse or base they need to have their device taken off them and inserted where the sun don’t shine!

547146227.png

Black_Wolf_Ja #5 Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:00 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10673 battles
  • [XMEN_]

It's not that if you say "No negative comments" people won't leave them, if i wanted to specifically leave a negative comment, i wouldn't care of your disclaimer, LOL
Anyway, the strategy most of the times is, rush the hill, hope the enemies are too slow to reach it before you, or hope your team supports you, hope to win the hill. After winning the hill you win the game.

So simple, that it just works most of the times.

However i don't really hate it, i'm fine playing in it, it's not as cancerous as the WoT PC Mines (reworked) map, no i'd say it's even better and even more balanced!

Edited by Black_Wolf_Ja, 15 June 2020 - 09:13 PM.

E-100 is love, E-100 is life          It's me.

SirArthurStreebGreebling #6 Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:41 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 47549 battles
  • [VG]

It's bloody horrible trying to fight at the ridge in a Russian heavy given the (lack of) gun depression.

I have noticed in recent months, often the ridge/hill strategy seems to have been forgotten in favour of a town/cap scrap.

llo1 #7 Posted 15 June 2020 - 10:22 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32157 battles
  • [1RTR]

You need to also look at the “heat maps” from minister rose.

They will provide you with the “best” areas to actually go to on all the maps covered.

http://forum.wotblitz.eu/index.php?/topic/51711-heatmaps-release/page__view__findpost__p__773436__hl__%2B%E2%80%9Cheat+%2Bmaps%E2%80%9D__fromsearch__1

BaronVeyer #8 Posted 15 June 2020 - 10:48 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11170 battles
  • [UKTD]
I actually enjoy Mines for its simplicity and my take is that tactics should vary depending on how much speed / gun depression your team has. If your team is too slow to rush the hill early on you can forget it because TDs will wreck you as you slowly attempt to crest the ramp and enemy lights / meds will already be there to greet you. Town has it's merits and is my go-to in heavies with little to no gun dep. The side island is a good supporting position to influence the ridge fight, but if there is no ridge fight to begin with it's a poor choice. The hill itself allows you to put pressure anywhere on the map,  but isn't nearly as covered as one might think and it's quite easy to end up bottled and / or blown away by a TD if not careful. 

Muhammad_Zaib #9 Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:50 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 1838 battles
  • [-STS-]
Anyone has some strategies to share? They will be appreciated and added to the thread. 

Martin___g #10 Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 24027 battles
  • [ALBAC]
The map is just sit on the entrance to the hill, either try to control it or deny the enemy going up.
The problems on the map comes at high tier, when each team gets 3 Tank Destroyers that hit hard. It makes the map incredibly obnoxious to play.

Going around town side as a flank is a viable option, but it’s all about the timing. You go too early, you will just get sniped or rushed. If you go too late, the enemies pressure the hill further.

For the lighthouse island, staying near the crest of the island allows you to put shots into any enemies on the hill. This prevents the medium from putting side shots into your heavies on the hill also.

I am not going to go into massive detail over this map because I have talked about this map so much recently, but there’s a brief take on it

minitelrose #11 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:08 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 83760 battles
  • [AFK]

My favorite advice on mines comes from Pos1tive_ [NA]

I will concede nothing : the WR needs to be re-counted - by hand.

Mjr_Eazy #12 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:36 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 36885 battles
  • [BT_SV]
Thanks Mini, never seen that before but awesome video, after my 30k+ battles I didn't really learn anything but oh man if I had seen it 20-30k battles ago it would have been a huge help!

547146227.png

Widd1 #13 Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:37 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 95863 battles
  • [49DIV]
If only there was an option in game to exclude certain maps from your MM.

Mjr_Eazy #14 Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:00 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 36885 battles
  • [BT_SV]

View PostWidd1, on 26 June 2020 - 06:37 AM, said:

If only there was an option in game to exclude certain maps from your MM.

Oh god yes please, even if it was only 1 map...

Himmelsdorf would never be seen again by me!

547146227.png

Pururut #15 Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:10 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23848 battles

View PostMuhammad_Zaib, on 15 June 2020 - 07:32 AM, said:

NOTE : THE PLAYERS WHO DON'T LIKE THIS MAP MUST NOT POST

You must have misunderstood; the letter T in WoT denotes tanks, not Turkey.

Astolfo has the cutest phallus.

Widd1 #16 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:00 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 95863 battles
  • [49DIV]

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 26 June 2020 - 08:00 AM, said:

Oh god yes please, even if it was only 1 map...

Himmelsdorf would never be seen again by me!

I would need at least 3 opt outs, Himmelsdorf is also on my list.

Mjr_Eazy #17 Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:09 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 36885 battles
  • [BT_SV]

View PostWidd1, on 26 June 2020 - 10:00 AM, said:

I would need at least 3 opt outs, Himmelsdorf is also on my list.

what are the others?  

547146227.png

jylpah #18 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27139 battles
  • [AFK]

Mines is all fine. I only dislike Himmelsdorf.

This map is about patience and timing.

- Careless hill rush can cost too mush HP or a tank for the control of the hill.

- If the hill gets taken by reds, you must seize the lighthouse and not to push too far. one tank needs to keep the LT/MT at the hill in check.

- flanking via the town may work, but it is question about timing. Also without enough tanks to control the hill, the flanking tanks are facing difficulties as red TDs at the spawn camping positions can defend pretty well.

BlitzAnalysiz.com  In-depth analysis of WoT Blitz game statistics

Jylpah @EU  Jylpah @Asia  Blitz-tools  

Knickerson #19 Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37678 battles
  • [ICN]

I only watched the first five minutes, but Pos1tive_ is pretty spot on. The main/only goal is to gain control of the hill. If your team can't control the hill, you fall back on tactics like flanking behind the hill, running to the island or falling back to give your sniping TDs targets.

Mines is one of those maps in encounter mode where if one objective isn't taken, the team loses. Focus on the cap and defend it? Your team loses. Stay back and snipe the hill? You'll all get spotted from the hill, and your team loses.

BTW, it's okay if things get a little negative. Personally, I don't like the map. It's not a favorite. It's a brawl, and if a player decides to s/he can win it without controlling the hill, well, then s/he doesn't understand the concept of team.

Sound trumpets! Let our colours wave!
And either victory, or else a grave.

William Shakespeare
Henry VI Part 3 – Act 2, scene 2

jylpah #20 Posted 26 June 2020 - 03:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27139 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostKnickerson, on 26 June 2020 - 04:48 PM, said:

I only watched the first five minutes, but Pos1tive_ is pretty spot on. The main/only goal is to gain control of the hill. If your team can't control the hill, you fall back on tactics like flanking behind the hill, running to the island or falling back to give your sniping TDs targets.

Mines is one of those maps in encounter mode where if one objective isn't taken, the team loses. Focus on the cap and defend it? Your team loses. Stay back and snipe the hill? You'll all get spotted from the hill, and your team loses.

BTW, it's okay if things get a little negative. Personally, I don't like the map. It's not a favorite. It's a brawl, and if a player decides to s/he can win it without controlling the hill, well, then s/he doesn't understand the concept of team.

I think the tricky part there is to prevent the noobs to peak over the ridge only to get deleted by three camping TDs. This is a map that requires both decisive action and sense to control the aggression. You need to control, not necessarily occupy the hill. Falling back while being supported by TDs works, but then you must take the lighthouse. Loosing both the lighthouse and hill will often lead to failure.

BlitzAnalysiz.com  In-depth analysis of WoT Blitz game statistics

Jylpah @EU  Jylpah @Asia  Blitz-tools  

Also tagged with Map, Strategies, Discussion, Mines

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users