Japanese tanks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Thekingoftheworldoftanks #1 Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:44 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 1490 battles
  • [HRG]

Sorry for posting this in the newcomers forum but seeing as I'm still below 250 battles in this account, I think I'm qualified to post topics that should go in gameplay over here.

Now, any advice or replys shouldn't be directed to a person with low battle count(that happens a lot) I play on the Asia server so I'm not a newbie.

Let's get to the topic now.

What the hell are the Japanese tanks? 

Are they decorated slag heaps?

Are they crushed aluminium dustbins?

Are they NERF tanks?

Are they the tanks that some aliens from Mars dropped on top of Japan?

Are they model tanks?

They don't have anything good. Except for the gun from tier 7 onwards.

Zero armour.

Bad mobility(for their armour obviously. Going at 45kmph is every heavy tanks dream)

What more should I say?

Except their guns and that too for tier 7 onward tanks, is garbage. 

Recycle them into Russian tanks!

How do you the Japanese tank unicums play these things?

They are like the Japanese heavies. Just made of tinfoil.

Sorry for the rant but I'm pissed of right now(bad teams)

Edited by Thekingoftheworldoftanks, 12 August 2020 - 02:45 PM.

Pururut #2 Posted 16 August 2020 - 10:27 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23848 battles

Well I thought someone would answer but fine I will. A crash course into Japanese history first; 

Ashikaga clan declines, Sengoku era emerges, Oda Nobunaga unites mainland Japan, he and his sons get assassinated, his general Hideyoshi Toyotomi rises and unifies Japan, invades Korea under Imjin war, dies during campaign, Tokugawa clan gets the support of eastern daimyo, civil war emerges between him and Toyotomis western daimyo, battle of Sekigahara happens, Hideyoshi loses, siege of Osaka castle occurs and Toyotomis entire family gets executed, 2 centuries of peace ensures as Tokugawa declares sakoku and closes Japan fearing Christian influence and possible arms sale for the western daimyo whom had their power diminished in the aftermath of Sekigahara, US ultimatum ends Sakoku in 1853, Boshin war occurs as a continuation of Sekigahara, western daimyo united under emperor wins swiftly thanks to Tokugawas reluctance, Japan rapidly modernizes, takes Korea and later Manchuria under its influence as Qing dynasty and Russian empire both decline. History repeats itself and this time Choshu and Satsuma clans assume the new interservice conflict the founders of the IJA and IJN.

It is at this point that your answer approaches. Japan while having the industrial capacity and population lacked both the oil and minerals necessary for its industry. Two approaches were developed, northern and southern advance. IJA focused on an aggressive policy towards China and Soviet Union with the aim of acquiring Siberias natural resources and establishing a buffer state between the respective nations. IJN on the other hand wanted to expand southwards to invade Dutch South East Asia to obtain Bornean oil as the navy and its air arm were largely dependent on US oil and aviation fuel exports.

Initially the IJA was successful from 1905-1938. This is reflected in tier 1-3 interwar Japanese tanks which are in fact infantry support first and anti-tank second and comparable with their counterparts. However, when Japan attacked USSR in 1939 it suffered a devastating set back as unlike 1905 Russia this time had the superior army and armor. This combined with slow progress on China and total US ban of oil and oil related products export to Japan led to a drastic shift in which IJA abandoned its northern advance policy and gave support to IJNs southern advance. This shows in tier 4-7 as most of those tanks and their weaponry were created 1943 and onwards as the navy obtained the lions share of military budget. The army and its armor simply weren't designed against Western powers but against China and USSR which prior to WW2 were suffering from instability militarily and politically. Japan couldnt focus on the issues at hand but that is for another post.

Tier 8-10 is post-war Japan and contrary to tier 4-7 all the tanks of this era are pretty good as US engines and ammunition become available. They have no armor which is reminiscent of the early Cold War era due to HEAT ammunitions overwhelming penetrative capabilities (at least on paper) against armor. Speed and high firepower makes up for that. The highlight of Japanese mediums is Type 61. It is the second best medium at tier 9 right after M46 Patton. 

You play tier 1-3 as you please, tier 4-5 defensively, free xp tier 6-7 and passive-aggressively with heavy emphasis on camo and hull down at tier 8-10.

Edited by Pururut, 16 August 2020 - 10:29 AM.

Astolfo has the cutest phallus.

Mjr_Eazy #3 Posted 16 August 2020 - 10:40 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 35433 battles
  • [BT_SV]

Nice one Puru...

OP, the Japanese TD’s are really strong, really really strong...

547146227.png

Thekingoftheworldoftanks #4 Posted 16 August 2020 - 02:05 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 1490 battles
  • [HRG]

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 16 August 2020 - 10:40 AM, said:

Nice one Puru...

OP, the Japanese TD’s are really strong, really really strong...

I was talking about the mediums. I'm not mad enough or experienced enough to call the tds bad.

And thanks for the history lesson!(no offence but I didn't read it... I hated history)

So in the name of historical accuracy, WG made the Japanese tanks bad and completely ignored accuracy while designing other tanks? Nice one, WG

Edited by Thekingoftheworldoftanks, 16 August 2020 - 02:07 PM.

Mjr_Eazy #5 Posted 17 August 2020 - 06:39 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 35433 battles
  • [BT_SV]

View PostThekingoftheworldoftanks, on 16 August 2020 - 02:05 PM, said:

I was talking about the mediums. I'm not mad enough or experienced enough to call the tds bad.

And thanks for the history lesson!(no offence but I didn't read it... I hated history)

So in the name of historical accuracy, WG made the Japanese tanks bad and completely ignored accuracy while designing other tanks? Nice one, WG

Ah! you didn’t say Japanese Medium tanks :). I stopped playing them at tier vi as hated them so I’d agree they’re bad but then I’m not very good at the game so I put it down to me being rubbish but I now hope you’re right it’s the tanks...

IMHO you should always read Puru San, he usually has something interesting to say although sometimes it can be bonkers too and there is some game/tank related info in there too...

547146227.png

Just_merpug #6 Posted 17 August 2020 - 09:07 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 56803 battles
  • [AFK]
I found the Japanese tanks fine, up to the Chi-ri at tier 7,which I finally aced after 911 games and 54% WR. The old tier1 Renault Otsu was lovely.

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users